How to find & download a file from the ftp server?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Sizuper
504 Command not implemented
First name: Denny
Last name: Hatch

How to find & download a file from the ftp server?

#1 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-04 01:59

Hi all,

Uploaded a few files with the Filezilla ftp client & server, but I can not figure out how to download them onto a second computer. I installed the Filezilla ftp client and server on the 2nd computer just like the first, using the same username and passwords, which only shows the 2nd computer's folders on the left side of the interface with no remote site on the right. I tried re-installing with different user name & password, and it will only log onto the server under that user/pw combo (I thought I could enter the 1st computer's user/pw into the ftp client to access the server space where the uploaded files were, but no dice.

So, when you have uploaded files from one computer onto the ftp server, how do other computers access these files for downloading?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and I apologize in advance if this is a ridiculously stupid question (I haven't used ftp sites for years, and it's not all coming back to me).
--Sizuper

Sizuper

Re: How to find & download a file from the ftp server?

#2 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-04 03:42

Also tried accessing the ftp site through IE and Firefox, using the user name & password that I used to upload the files from computer 1, and it will not let me in. I'm just missing something that must be very obvious. If anyone can toss me a hint, I'd be much obliged.
Thanks again!
Sizuper

Sizuper

#3 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-04 23:34

Anyone?....

Sizuper

#4 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-09 03:06

Hi, just checking in to see if any replies.

75 views and zero responses....with all the high level code expertise I see on the board, I gotta believe someone knows how to navigate the filezilla ftp client on this simple user interface level. I'm not trying to do anything fancy - just find the files I uploaded from another computer so I can download them onto a second one. There must be a simple protocol to find/access a directory of uploaded files that I just can't figure out by bumping around in the dark.

Can anyone please take pity and toss me a bone? I'd be very grateful.
Thanks,
--Sizuper

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2008-02-09 03:39

You don't need to install the server on every computer, it's only needed on the machine actually hosting the files. And in theory you should be able to access it from anywhere. Only the client is needed on other machines.

Did you check the firewall on the server machine? Is it correctly configured? By default every connection is just blocked.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Sizuper

#6 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-09 05:05

Thanks for the reply boco!

I just set the firewall on both machines to make exceptions for both the filezilla ftp server and client, and exceptions for ftp connections in general, but still no dice. I thought that would work, since the problem is that it won't connect to the server:

Error: Could not connect to server

I can't even raise the ftp location through firefox or ie now. Won't connect to the site (the server machine is connecting fine, so the server can't be down). Any suggestions?

I re-installed the server on the second machine (the one I can't get to connect), and it will now connect, but rejects me with the 530 Error again:

Command: USER ...
Response: 331 Password required for ...
Response: 530 Login or password incorrect!
Error: Could not connect to server

Ugh, I feel very stupid. I can usually figure this stuff out quickly on my own.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#7 Post by botg » 2008-02-09 08:21

Did you read the Network Configuration guide yet?

Sizuper

#8 Post by Sizuper » 2008-02-11 03:54

botg wrote:Did you read the Network Configuration guide yet?
Hi botg - thanks for the reply.

I did read that section and made all the settings match what it indicated, but there are some things I do not understand, due to my computer illiteracy:

"Just make sure FileZilla Server is allowed to establish outgoing connections to arbitrary ports, since the client controls which port to use. For the local end of the connection, FileZilla Server tries to use a port one less than that of the control connection (e.g. port 20 if server is listening on port 21). However this is not always possible, so don't rely on it."

I can't find anywhere in the server settings where you can choose to establish connection on arbitrary ports. The only place I find ports mentioned at all is under Edit/Settings/General Settings/Connection settings/Listen on these ports. It will not allow me to enter a range of ports, only a single port number.When I enter a range, click "Okay" and then check it again, it only shows the first port in that range.

Another one I don't understand:
"Set your firewall to allow incoming connections on all ports greater than 1024."

Far as I can tell, my firewall does not have any option to do this. I set the firewall in the Network Connections folder and through my Symantec interface to allow connections through the Filezilla ftp client & server. Nowhere can I find any way to specify the ports specifically.

I've spent hours trying every combination of passive/active, static/dynamic IP, etc., that I can find and still the results are the same error messages.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2008-02-12 06:48

Just make sure FileZilla Server is allowed to establish outgoing connections to arbitrary ports/quote]

This sentence refers to the configuration of Firewalls. Most Firewalls call this 'to act as a server'. This is only for Active mode.
Set your firewall to allow incoming connections on all ports greater than 1024
Needed for Filezilla Client in Active mode. FZ Client does not know which port the Server will choose to connect back, could be anything from 1025-65535.

Behind a NAT device and firewall, I'd always configure for Passive mode. It's much more Firewall-friendly.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org