Why I'm going back to Filezilla 2 !!!!!

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

SpeedyNT
500 Command not understood
First name: Speedy
Last name: Gonzales

Why I'm going back to Filezilla 2 !!!!!

#1 Post by SpeedyNT » 2008-04-20 10:09

I downloaded filezilla 2.2.32 some time ago. Everything went fine.

The other day, I decided to download the new version. My toughts were it was better than the old one for sure.

Suddenly I realized it was not true !

Like in perfect Microsoft style, this product seems to be loosing "intelligence" instead of earning it - and customer's (even if free) needs does not represent any more the main target of the software. The main target of the software becomes what the developers think it should. Exactly like Microsoft with Windows Vista. They think it's THE product we need. But it is not !!!!!!
Ok, now to be practice.

Could someone here at filezilla explain me why should be considered an "improvement" the act of TAKING OUT of the program some settings ?

I refer, in particular, to this two, very useful settings:

1) Keep Alive - It's no more present on the new client !! Or am I missing where it was moved ?

2) Directory Caching - This too !!!! I read on the form it's no more on the new version !!

Dear Filezilla developers, answers like "you don't need them" are not enough and, honestly, are too much "microsoft style" this ones too.

You should explain us -why- you decided to keep them out !! If we don't need it, we could have turned them off. In this new version, there's no way: you decided what we needed.

And this is - WRONG !

Or - it's me who's wrong ?

Please tell me / and give me / us good points to discuss about it. Because I find it's silly to uninstall a new version and come back to the older one. Exactly like customers are doing with Windows Vista and Windows XP.

A good-old-developer,

SpeedyNT.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Why I'm going back to Filezilla 2 !!!!!

#2 Post by botg » 2008-04-20 19:15

Removed poll as it is factual incorrect. Nothing has been "kept out", it just has not been reimplemented yet.

Please, go ahead, download the source code and implement the missing features if you need them so much.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2008-04-20 23:35

Somehow I get the impression that nobody reads the FAQ+stickies, and searches the forum BEFORE flaming. So sad. Dear OP, please educate yourself what a change in the major version number means, it means 'complete new program'.

Nobody forces you to use v3. But you are on your own.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Stang
500 Syntax error
First name: James
Last name: Stangroom

#4 Post by Stang » 2008-04-21 14:43

Although it was initially frustrating for me to switch from 2 to 3, and I even considered a switch back, I decided to stick it out. My reasons were:

- This is a free, open source project. Reporting your issues (politely) so the developers can iron out the bugs is essential to the process. They're rebuilding the program from the ground up so it will be better for everyone in the future. It isn't perfect yet, but it is moving in the right direction.
- The only time that I encountered a problem that I felt the developers should know about, I posted on this forum. They responded quickly, implemented some changes in the next nightly build, and then included the fix in the next official release. This happened within days of first reporting the problem.

I'm not sure where you can receive similar prompt attention to your issues for the price we're paying (free).

HMIBarryLSalter
First name: Barry L.
Last name: Salter

#5 Post by HMIBarryLSalter » 2008-04-22 15:59

My Sys Admin recommended FileZilla, I've tried cute, I've even been the stupid one that used IE, and in the past I've used WS, I've signed up today on the forum just to post this:

Thank You File Zilla Community..

Barry,
Barry L. Salter
Hosting Master Internet
Hear (as in Listening) to Serve You! tm
+1.6024136197

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

#6 Post by Stefan1200 » 2008-04-23 11:29

SpeedyNT wrote:1) Keep Alive - It's no more present on the new client !! Or am I missing where it was moved ?
Filezilla 3.0.9.2 have already this feature, it can be found in the options. The only difference to V2 is, that Filezilla V3 does not fake the list command. Thats the reason why the "No transfer timeout" from the server still works.
<removed advertisement>

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2008-04-23 13:53

2.x did not "fake the list command" either.

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

#8 Post by Stefan1200 » 2008-04-26 19:49

botg wrote:2.x did not "fake the list command" either.
Ok? How did 2.x managed not to get a "No transfer timeout"?
<removed advertisement>

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2008-04-26 22:19

Same way FZ3 does: Not at all.

mike503

#10 Post by mike503 » 2008-07-09 08:01

Yes; I am quite disappointed too.

Unless I am mistaken I cannot figure out a way to:
- Connect using SOCKS proxies anymore
- Re-order items in the queue

These seem like two basic things and were staples in 2.x ... how can 3.x be such an improvement when a lot of functionality has been lost?

I appreciate the program and it's cost, however, I wanted to go back to 2.x, and found that it's been removed from sourceforge too. I had to Google around to find someone who had mirrored an old copy.

Hopefully those things are going to be added back in soon...

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2008-07-09 10:18

If people would read stickies, they would find out that I linked 2.2.32 there. But, no. :x

mike503

#12 Post by mike503 » 2008-07-09 18:18

If people would update the documentation, people wouldn't have to browse every forum and every thread and every sticky looking for a link.

The docs still have a link that says "if you want 2.x, go here" and it links to the sf.net download page which only has 3.x versions now.

"But, no"

boco
Contributor

#13 Post by boco » 2008-07-09 21:51

Sourceforge.net still hosts the files, they just FIFOed out of the list. The link in the sticky directly links to the Sourceforge files. The sticky is there for your convenience.

It is common practice on web forums to first read the forum rules, FAQs and stickies BEFORE starting to post.

As for the documentation, do you mean the Wiki? So if you find something that's no longer valid, GO AHEAD AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF. The Wiki is maintained by users, for users. botg is only one person, he either can work on Filezilla or on the docs.

mike503

#14 Post by mike503 » 2008-07-09 21:59

boco wrote:Sourceforge.net still hosts the files, they just FIFOed out of the list. The link in the sticky directly links to the Sourceforge files. The sticky is there for your convenience.

It is common practice on web forums to first read the forum rules, FAQs and stickies BEFORE starting to post.

As for the documentation, do you mean the Wiki? So if you find something that's no longer valid, GO AHEAD AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF. The Wiki is maintained by users, for users. botg is only one person, he either can work on Filezilla or on the docs.
heh. why would i update a wiki to say "these links don't work" if i have no legitimate links to put in it's place?

i would have updated it if i had something to put there that was -useful-

anyway, how about you go update it, since most people are expected to check docs before heading to forums/mailing lists. you've got all the links and such.

i hit this forum from a google search, otherwise, like i know the right search terms and also which forum specifically should i examine? i could have posted in another forum and be trashed there for not reading the stickies too.

i run my own forum and while you hope that the stickies get read, it's humans who consume them so expect them to not be utilized fully.

boco
Contributor

#15 Post by boco » 2008-07-09 22:09

mike503 wrote:i run my own forum and while you hope that the stickies get read, it's humans who consume them so expect them to not be utilized fully
Amen. Maybe I should look if I have permission to change it to Global announcement.
Edit: Changed. Now it can be seen from every forum. Hopefully it will be read more often now.

As for the docs: Unfortunately I'm no native English speaker, so it would consume a lot of my time, which I don't have.