Feature Request: select connection type from quickconnect

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bosmeeuw
500 Command not understood
First name: Alex
Last name: Dude

Feature Request: select connection type from quickconnect

#1 Post by bosmeeuw » 2008-08-12 12:47

It would be nice if we could select the connection type from the quickconnect bar.

Now, you can QuickConnect to an SFTP server if it uses the standard port 22, but most of my SFTP servers use a non-standard port for security against subnet scanners. If you enter a non-standard port like 2022, the connection will fail saying "Cannot establish FTP connection to an SFTP server. Please select proper protocol.". If we could select the protocol ourselves, or if FileZilla could automatically switch to SFTP mode when encountering the SSH protocol, this issue would be solved.

Thanks for a great FTP program!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Feature Request: select connection type from quickconnect

#2 Post by botg » 2008-08-12 13:09

Use protocol prefixes. For SFTP, try sftp://

cbemerine
First name: CB
Last name: Emerine

Re: Feature Request: select connection type from quickconnec

#3 Post by cbemerine » 2012-03-03 05:21

Use protocol prefixes. For SFTP, try sftp://
It would be obvious to me where to put this if I had a browser window or from a terminal prompt, however from within the FileZilla GUI I simply can not find a "protocol prefixes" option nor do I see a bar where I would enter this. The most likely candidate, the "Remote Site" bar on the right hand side of the screen is grayed out and not accessible.

I have looked at the Edit / Settings and can not find any spot that would let me enter sftp://

what am I missing?

I will play with the Edit / Network Configuration Wizard and File / Site Manager (probably here) to see what I can find.

Basically I am accessing a shared server on hostgator, ssh has been configured properly and I can access the domain via a terminal prompt and ssh. However I can not access via sftp and suspect a routing / port problem with my dd-wrt firewall/router not allowing the handshake back from hostgator... I talked to hostgator support and they could access the domain from behind their firewall without problem, so sftp does work, just not for me yet. I was hoping that FileZilla would let me progress the project I am working on, letting me re-visit the dd-wrt firewall/router port issue for SFTP at a later date after some deadlines have passed...unfortunately that may not be possible.

Any suggestions? Here is the complete error message from within the FileZilla GUI....

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3
Error: Cannot establish FTP connection to an SFTP server. Please select proper protocol.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to server

running FileZilla v 3.3.1 from an Ubuntu Linux x86_64 box. I am not planning on staying with Ubuntu, switching to Debian, Arch or some other Linux distro, therefore the newer version of FileZilla is not available for 10.04, fyi.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2012-03-03 11:21

I have looked at the Edit / Settings and can not find any spot that would let me enter sftp://
QuickConnect bar, Hostname field. Precedes the actual hostname/servername. In the Site Manager, you use the dropdown fields to select the correct protocol.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2012-03-03 12:48

You simply type the protocol prefix in using your keyboard.

szucsati
First name: Attila
Last name: Szucs

#6 Post by szucsati » 2013-01-13 00:21

I double this request.

Everyday I connect to loads of sftp servers (I only use sftp for development servers). I put sftp or port 22 every time I want to connect, but it's just very inconvenient.

It would be nice if somehow we could set sftp in the Quickconnect bar and keep it like that. So make sftp as default instead of ftp.