spot my mistake please, second fzs on home ed in same networ

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

cszeto
226 Transfer OK

Re: spot my mistake please, second fzs on home ed in same networ

#16 Post by cszeto » 2008-08-22 07:45

No sidestepping, no "snide insults and sarcasm", when you will not:

1. Provide end-to-end configuration information (including IP setting/plans)
2. Rule out/in Linksys as the culprit

There are plenty of folks struggling with Linksys as they have had a history of doing weird "tweaks" from revision to revision of their firmware. Ultimately, the entire Linksys line is geared at Internet access, not server/service hosting.

A lot of folks refuse to understand that a device designed for accessing the Internet versus hosting services/servers across the Internet are two totally different beasts with different goals. Sometimes a device for access may be able to function in the other role, but that is typically not by design. Trying asking google.com or yahoo.com about their Linksys configurations.

I'm bowing out, as you have thoroughly looked at your networking configuration and have determined that it can not be that, so there isn't anything I can do to add value here. I do not want to contribute to or be accused of contributing to the "snide insults and sacarsm," even if it was initiated by other parties...
Microsoft MVP (2004 through 2008)

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#17 Post by grantpet » 2008-08-22 08:49

i've provided the end-to-end config information in previous posts only to have the admins admit they weren't really reading the entire post, just skimming. i provided a pretty good generalization of my setup, if something is needed to help troubleshoot i'll be more than happy to provide it

i am trying to rule in or out the router, the os, and fz. everything is suspect really.

nobody is refusing to believe anything, and the point at which you imply i don't was understood long before i got to ftp software. if you read my posts you would know that i'm currently in linksys forum as well as other ftp server software forums, google, and a few other search engines.

if you are so convinced it is outside the internal network, then help me verify some things.

no word on the ports to use or not use?? apparently loads of server software has some issue with one port or another, as does ftp in general doesn't always work with some ports? some clarifications from someone would be great.

someone else and i went through hell because i couldn't find evidence of an HID error in the registry that was there, is there anything similar that could keep this from working?? ---HID error fixed!!

can anyone verify that a fzs software that is accessible by different client software outside & inside the LAN on port 21 doesn't have issues on different ports? verification the data port is always 1 less than the command port?

have i ruled out windows for sure with my config changes?

has anyone else had an isp as the source of a similar issue?

anyone had a similar issue fixed by changing their packet size away from 1500?

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#18 Post by grantpet » 2008-08-22 11:32

this sort of answered one of my questions, figured you tech guys would get more use out of it than i would, so here it is: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

i have been able to verify that the router is properly forwarding 8080, it was suggested that i might be outside linksys' port range all together, but since a grc port scan can scan the 65535 port, i'm going to assume its there.

the grc service port scan showed stealth for all ports tested, i then enabled dmz hosting for the scan and it revealed nearly every service port as being blocked. only a handful of exceptions, none of which i believe i tested on. this to my understanding is normal, and that the ports remaining in stealth or being blocked by my isp...ok, so they aren't the problem since none of the ports i've tested on are stealth

does this scan not rule out the isp and the nat router?

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#19 Post by grantpet » 2008-08-22 17:19

i just got verification that it is not my setup, router, or isp by watching 2 other properly configured clients accessing my current test setup with no problems.

i'll be taking this to client software since the issue is with its setup.

i have been able to verify that both machines i've been testing with outside the LAN have been reporting false client settings. the fzc software was easily repaired by moving the transfer settings transfer mode under the site manager for my server's account from active to default.

i'm a bit ticked at the clients fibbing about their settings and am currently reading them the riot act.

can anyone verify the process i used for checking ports blocked by an isp with grc scan?

boco
Contributor

#20 Post by boco » 2008-08-23 02:10

grantpet wrote:verification the data port is always 1 less than the command port?
No, not always. If the client is using a Passive mode session, the ports used for data are always in the range you define for Passive mode.

If you defined ports 2000-2099 for Passive, the first transfer gets the 2000, the next 2001 and so on. After 2099 has been used, 2000 is the next.
-> If the client sends PASV, your server replies with the IP and port to use. Note that Passive mode is the recommended one.

For Active mode, it's different. The Active port range is set in the client. With the PORT command, the client tells the server it's IP and a port. Your server then connects back to the client using the remote IP ands port. On your side (local port) it usually uses port 20 for the first transfer, but as outgoing connection. This usually requires no port forwarding at all for 20. Further transfers use random ports on your side.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

#21 Post by grantpet » 2008-08-23 02:46

thank you very much for clarifying.

that was the process as i understood it, but some of the things i was reading while troubleshooting made me think some server software handles it differently.