FZ too optimistic?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

EvilBro
500 Command not understood
First name: Evil
Last name: Bro

FZ too optimistic?

#1 Post by EvilBro » 2008-09-04 06:35

I'm trying to upload a file (~257kB) to a remote pc through a router+analog modem combination. I connect to the Pure-ftpd server that is running on the remote pc and drag my file into the appropriate directory. FZ immediately shows the progress of the file upload to be 47% (131 KB/s), and then nothing happens. After a while (30 seconds or so) I get an error message: 'connection timed out'. FZ then tries again and shows the progress to be 34% (65.5 KB/s). Then nothing will seem to be happening again. This continues until either I get lucky and the file is completely transferred or until I get a 'too many time outs' message (or something of the sort).

If I try to upload the same file with SmartFTP the progress is about 2 kB/s and it continues to upload the file at that speed without giving an error. This speed indication seems far more reasonable given the analog modem.

I think, perhaps wrongfully, that the strange 'speed indication' may be linked to my actual problem (files not uploading properly for whatever reason). I have however been unable to figure out how this might be related and how this can be fixed. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Edit: I've just tried CrossFTP. It also starts out with 47% (131 KB/s), but it's speed drops to 3 KB/s. It doesn't report an error.

Edit 2: I don't know what it is about posting on a forum, but after I've done it, I always come up with new things to try. In this case I thought of limiting the upload speed to 2 KB/s. This causes the progress bar to work as expected. I do get an error message at about 80% through and for some reason it gets stuck at 100% (The error message appears after which FZ tries again and after 3 times it succeeded).

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FZ too optimistic?

#2 Post by botg » 2008-09-04 09:06

The initial burst is due to filling the socket buffers.

Just increase the timeout value in the settings.

EvilBro

#3 Post by EvilBro » 2008-09-04 09:34

I've increased the timeout from 20 to 200 seconds. I was then able to transfer a file that previously caused problems. Is there a guideline for determining the timeout needed or is it pretty much trial and error?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2008-09-04 11:03

The latter.

EvilBro