using compression from linux to windows filezilla server

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

sbouli
500 Command not understood

using compression from linux to windows filezilla server

#1 Post by sbouli » 2008-09-25 15:50

Hello,

I am using the fillezilla server on a windows 2003 workstation and I'd like to send huge log files from linux servers. How can I use compression on the transport ?
I cannot compress the files on the linux and uncompress on the windows (except if the filezilla server takes care of it) because I use the files thrue a sql bulk insert and cannot unzip between the end of the transfer and the beginning of the bulk insert ...

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

Re: using compression from linux to windows filezilla server

#2 Post by da chicken » 2008-09-25 22:05

It's called MODE Z transfer. In FileZilla Server under Server Options, there's a section called Filetransfer (sic) compression. Turn that on. If your client and server are on private IP ranges (192.168.0.0, 10.0.0.0, 172.16-32.0.0) then you need to uncheck the setting that prevents MODE Z transfer over private addressing.

Next, you need an FTP client that can supports FTP MODE Z transfers or will allow you to issue the raw MODE Z command. MODE Z is not commonly supported because of the processing overhead of on-the-fly transfers.

I find it hard to believe that you can access a remote server with FTP but can't extract the file. Maybe I could help you with that. How are you executing this script?