Filezilla disconnects, cuteFTP doesn't; same router-why?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

googliser
500 Command not understood
First name: Leo
Last name: lion

Re: Filezilla disconnects, cuteFTP doesn't; same router-why?

#46 Post by googliser » 2008-08-26 15:46

Just change ur settings to get rid of this not-a-big-problem

1) Go to Edit (on top left)
2) click settings
3)then click ftp that appears on settings pop up window
4) check send keep alive commands.

Always
Leo

blaise

#47 Post by blaise » 2008-08-31 15:12

googliser wrote:Just change ur settings to get rid of this not-a-big-problem

1) Go to Edit (on top left)
2) click settings
3)then click ftp that appears on settings pop up window
4) check send keep alive commands.

Always
Leo
Doesn't work with most servers.
Everything botg has said about the server set up is true, and i see no need for him to change FileZilla just because of some craply set up servers and some picky people who actually know nothing about the workings of FTP.
"some" servers? All servers in my case. And I don't think it woulld be wrong if botg learnt something about usability. Users shouldn't worry about technical aspects, it should just work for them.

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

#48 Post by Stefan1200 » 2008-09-02 12:15

shawneditcom wrote:Why not have FileZilla display the current directory listing regardless of whether one is connected or not. If the server disconnects me, do nothing more than display a disconnect message in the message log. Then when I go to download a file or change directories after a period of inactivity, automatically re-connect me and fetch the files. No wasted bandwidth, my experience is seamless and no more angry users.
I like this idea. So no more keep alive is needed and keep FileZilla clean. Maybe as addition to the message log entry after disconnection an "[Disconnected]" in the window title after the server name.

Would this be possible, botg?
<removed advertisement>

SebastianSebas
504 Command not implemented
First name: Sebastian
Last name: Sebas

#49 Post by SebastianSebas » 2008-09-03 03:51

shawneditcom wrote:This is what seems to be happening:

- Servers disconnect FTP users
- Every other FTP client seems to mask or compensate for these disconnects, giving the user a seamless experience.
- FileZilla does things "the right way" and does not compensate for the disconnects, blanking the file listing to indicate that a disconnect has occurred.
- The developer believes that by doing things "the right way," server admins will fix these problems.

The trouble is that, when all is said and done, the way Filezilla handles (or doesn't handle) these disconnects is incredibly annoying and hinders the usability of the app. I hit Control-R to reconnect to FTP servers approximately 200 times per day when using FileZilla. I would love to configure all of the FTP servers I connect to to handle things properly but I can't. I connect to about 10 unique FTP servers per day and could not possibly hope to fix all of them. I doubt I could even get one of them to change. Yes, shared hosting is a ghetto but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

The other problem is that as a user, I don't care why or how I'm connected to a server. I just want to see files. And I want to download those files or upload new ones. Whether I'm actively connected or not is something I don't care about. It's something FileZilla should care about.

An Idea:

Why not have FileZilla display the current directory listing regardless of whether one is connected or not. If the server disconnects me, do nothing more than display a disconnect message in the message log. Then when I go to download a file or change directories after a period of inactivity, automatically re-connect me and fetch the files. No wasted bandwidth, my experience is seamless and no more angry users.

Think about it like this:

Say you have your hard disk set to spin down when not in use. Imagine Windows Explorer blanked out the display of files every time the hard drive spun down. And you had to hit Control-R every time you wanted to spin the drives back up and see your files. Yes, technically it is the hard drive spinning down, not Explorer making them spin down, but to me it's all the same. That would be highly unusable nor should a user ever need to know about the hard drives spinning up or down.

Same goes for FTP.

Thoughts?
Olé, 100% agree

And on the Idea, hopefully the reality, all the benefits, none of the disadvantages.

manarak
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Proutor
Last name: Prout

#50 Post by manarak » 2008-09-09 17:23

I was about to write about the same issue.

I can't really influence the servers where I am connecting, I just need a tool that does what I need, and I am not concerned with abiding RFCs.

BOTG, please, can we have an "improved" keep-alive function, maintaining the connection alive (or reconnecting) despite what the server does?
Pleeeeeeeeeease.

manarak
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Proutor
Last name: Prout

#51 Post by manarak » 2008-09-12 20:37

I... must not... listen to... users...

*** kopf-in-den-sand-steck' ***

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#52 Post by botg » 2008-09-12 22:23

This thread is built on the wrong assumption that FileZilla disconnects. That is just wrong. In fact it is the server that disconnects you.

Fix the damn server already!

boco
Contributor

#53 Post by boco » 2008-09-13 17:36

manarak wrote:I... must not... listen to... users...

Why do you think this forum exists? :?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

:Ares:
First name: Carl
Last name: Magic

#54 Post by :Ares: » 2008-09-13 20:11

boco wrote:
manarak wrote:I... must not... listen to... users...

Why do you think this forum exists? :?
1 .- to have something to tell their grandchildren
2 .- not listen to the users ... when they speak
3 .- but, respond as a dictator

also:
1 .- flatter the administrator at each post
botg wrote:This thread is built on the wrong assumption that FileZilla disconnects. That is just wrong. In fact it is the server that disconnects you.

Fix the damn server already!
You have more freedom to take what it wants with the proprietary software that with this "free software" where the user must do what the developer it seems. :?

Give what the damn users want already!

shawneditcom wrote:An Idea:

Why not have FileZilla display the current directory listing regardless of whether one is connected or not. If the server disconnects me, do nothing more than display a disconnect message in the message log. Then when I go to download a file or change directories after a period of inactivity, automatically re-connect me and fetch the files. No wasted bandwidth, my experience is seamless and no more angry users.
It's a good idea ... and it's Free ;)
shawneditcom wrote:...Say you have your hard disk set to spin down when not in use. Imagine Windows Explorer blanked out the display of files every time the hard drive spun down. And you had to hit Control-R every time you wanted to spin the drives back up and see your files...
LOL

For this reason it seems that someone is "good"

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#55 Post by botg » 2008-09-13 20:33

Since FileZilla is free (this time in the sense of free beer), I am not bound to fulfill the wishes of clueless users waving with money. Instead, I can do things the right way.

That's the one flaw with democracy: By only doing what the masses want, you will settle with mediocrity. Face it: Compared to an expert in some arbitrary field, Joe Average is plain stupid concerning that field.
For this reason I very much prefer meritocracy over democracy. Unfortunately, it is generally impossible to define a metric to evaluate someone's talent and ability, so it just leaves democracy as the next best thing.

However, it is possible for some subset. Free open source software is one such subset: The developers of a given project known the details, they are fully informed to make decisions that are best in the long term. Most users however do not know the details and thus cannot make informed decisions. Naturally, with their limited knowledge, some decisions by the developers irate them.

Oh, and you might want to read my 2nd latest post in the development diary.

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

#56 Post by Stefan1200 » 2008-09-21 17:23

I installed the new 3.1.3 version and I like the new implemented feature suggested in this thread. It works good, thank you botg.
<removed advertisement>

tom
First name: t
Last name: c

#57 Post by tom » 2008-09-30 20:12

Agh, whether it's the servers fault or not, it's annoying. Apparently every server is setup 'wrong' because filezilla disconnects all the time on every server I need to connect to.

I would like to switch permanently to FileZilla from Rhinosoft FTP Voyager but since it decreases my productivity to have to hit the reconnect button every 2 seconds I gotta stick with FTP Voyager which keeps me connected regardless of the server settings. I REALLY want to like/use FileZilla.

shawneditcom
First name: Shawn
Last name: Morrison

#58 Post by shawneditcom » 2008-09-30 20:18

tom wrote:Agh, whether it's the servers fault or not, it's annoying. Apparently every server is setup 'wrong' because filezilla disconnects all the time on every server I need to connect to.

I would like to switch permanently to FileZilla from Rhinosoft FTP Voyager but since it decreases my productivity to have to hit the reconnect button every 2 seconds I gotta stick with what works best. I REALLY want to like/use FileZilla.
Tom, check the latest version (3.1.3) of FileZilla, the problem has been fixed. Actually, to be much more accurate, a new feature has been added which keeps the directory listing active even if the server disconnects. This removes the annoying aspect of the previous behavior which was not the actual disconnect but the wiping of the file listing which required a manual refresh.

Thanks botg for addressing this issue with a smart user interface tweak.

SebastianSebas
504 Command not implemented
First name: Sebastian
Last name: Sebas

#59 Post by SebastianSebas » 2008-09-30 21:32

Now Filezilla is the best, is perfect.

Thanks to shawneditcom by giving the idea.

And thanks to botg for making it possible and work it.

:D

tom
First name: t
Last name: c

#60 Post by tom » 2008-10-10 20:32

shawneditcom wrote:
tom wrote:Agh, whether it's the servers fault or not, it's annoying. Apparently every server is setup 'wrong' because filezilla disconnects all the time on every server I need to connect to.

I would like to switch permanently to FileZilla from Rhinosoft FTP Voyager but since it decreases my productivity to have to hit the reconnect button every 2 seconds I gotta stick with what works best. I REALLY want to like/use FileZilla.
Tom, check the latest version (3.1.3) of FileZilla, the problem has been fixed. Actually, to be much more accurate, a new feature has been added which keeps the directory listing active even if the server disconnects. This removes the annoying aspect of the previous behavior which was not the actual disconnect but the wiping of the file listing which required a manual refresh.

Thanks botg for addressing this issue with a smart user interface tweak.
UGH. Okay, it's a tiny bit better that it remembers the directories, but I still have to wait for it to reconnect every time I want to switch a directory. Also, I'm getting this nonsense (A file with that name is already being transferred).

It's still official.... FTP Voyager > Filezilla