Auto start /Startup Options

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

screwup
500 Command not understood

Auto start /Startup Options

#1 Post by screwup » 2005-03-31 10:35

hi, after being confused about how the server works like many other newbies, i think i understand it now. How i see it is that there are two parts to the software the filezilla interface, and the filezilla ftp service. in order for the ftp server to work they both must be running, correct?

to my point now, i got the ftp service running on automatic which is fine, but i dont want the interface to load at startup. i only want the interface to run when i click the icon. i searched in the options and i couldnt see anything, i searched these forums and its not in the startup folder. does anyone know how i can change this setting?

also this leads me to another question, does having the service running without the interface leave me open to attacks? or is that only the case if the interface is connected?

thanks.

dBlue
503 Bad sequence of commands

#2 Post by dBlue » 2005-03-31 14:24

1. As far as the service is running, ppl could download from you. Server interface is for monitoring purpose only.

2. The way the interface start is determine when you install the program. I ain't sure how to change after installation.

3. Server interface doesn't affect your chance of being attack.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

Re: Auto start /Startup Options

#3 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-03-31 15:55

screwup wrote:hi, after being confused about how the server works like many other newbies, i think i understand it now. How i see it is that there are two parts to the software the filezilla interface, and the filezilla ftp service. in order for the ftp server to work they both must be running, correct?
No. FileZilla Server runs as a Windows Service just like Apache or MySQL can run as a service. The FileZilla Server Interface is completely independant of the FTP service -- it's merely a tool to administer your FTP server, or any other FileZilla Server FTP server that you may have access to.
screwup wrote:to my point now, i got the ftp service running on automatic which is fine, but i dont want the interface to load at startup. i only want the interface to run when i click the icon. i searched in the options and i couldnt see anything, i searched these forums and its not in the startup folder. does anyone know how i can change this setting?
In regedit, browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and remove the "FileZilla Server Interface" entry. If you've ever had to manually remove spyware, this particular location in the registry should be all too familiar to you.
screwup wrote:also this leads me to another question, does having the service running without the interface leave me open to attacks? or is that only the case if the interface is connected?
You open yourself to potential attacks any and every time you make sevices such as FTP and HTTP available to public networks. Currently, there are no reported vulnerabilities in FZS, so it all boils down to how you administer it. Apache (and even IIS) can be very secure with the proper configuration. Any firewall can provide a very high level of security. However, problems will arise when these things are improperly configured.

screwup

thank you

#4 Post by screwup » 2005-03-31 16:40

wow, i didnt know i could be so wrong. :?

btw is there documentation for the server (i can only find the client one)

that regedit works so thanks for that. i have changed the server to manual and have stopped it now. is it possible to make a shortcut on my desktop so i can start and stop the service? or could i add parameters to the current filezilla interface shorcut?

thanks again for your help. :)

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

Re: thank you

#5 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-03-31 19:20

screwup wrote:wow, i didnt know i could be so wrong. :?
:silly:
screwup wrote:btw is there documentation for the server (i can only find the client one)
None that I can find either.
screwup wrote:that regedit works so thanks for that. i have changed the server to manual and have stopped it now. is it possible to make a shortcut on my desktop so i can start and stop the service? or could i add parameters to the current filezilla interface shorcut?
You could do it with a simple batch file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cls

ECHO:
ECHO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ECHO  !                                     ! 
ECHO  !  Press 1 to Start FileZilla Server  !
ECHO  !  Press 2 to Stop FileZilla Server   !
ECHO  !  Press 3 to Exit                    ! 
ECHO  !                                     ! 
ECHO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ECHO:

choice /C:123 /T:3,7
if errorlevel == 3 goto BYE
if errorlevel == 2 goto STOP
if errorlevel == 1 goto START

:START
ECHO:
net start "FileZilla Server FTP server"
goto EXIT

:STOP
ECHO:
net stop "FileZilla Server FTP server"
goto EXIT

:EXIT
ECHO:
ECHO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ECHO  !            ! 
ECHO  !  Complete  ! 
ECHO  !            ! 
ECHO  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ECHO:
pause

:BYE
exit
screwup wrote:thanks again for your help. :)
NP

vgonzalez387
First name: Valentin
Last name: Gonzalez

#6 Post by vgonzalez387 » 2015-02-23 03:50

Excellent comments.

I found that the registry path changed for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Do a search for Filezilla and you will find it.

In my case the path to remove server from Auto Start on Windows 2008 Server R2 was:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Just remove the entry listed as:

FileZilla Server Interface

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server Interface.exe"

Enjoy.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2015-02-23 17:05

I found that the registry path changed for Windows Server 2008 R2.
Small correction: Wow6432node is used on every 64bit Windows.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Kathyjuk

#8 Post by Kathyjuk » 2017-12-30 14:49

Thanks for this. I was getting very frustrated as I couldn't stop Filezilla from opening on startup each day.

pghudson
First name: peter
Last name: hudson

#9 Post by pghudson » 2020-08-18 19:25

That seemed to work; although, I got many hits on filezilla, so I'm not sure I deleted the right one or not.