Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

msburg
500 Command not understood
First name: Michael
Last name: Burg

Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

#1 Post by msburg » 2008-10-14 03:15

Any help, suggestion would be very appreciated...!
Systems: Linux Ubuntu server, Linux Ubuntu laptop, Windows Server 2000, Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop / desktop, FireFox 3.0 w/ FireFTP addon.
Download: I downloaded FileZilla FTP for Windows and Linux
Configuration: Use default configuration

FTP servers: ProFTP server running on Linux Ubuntu server and Linux Ubuntu laptop. Microsoft IIS 5.1 with FTP server hosts "anonymous" FTP server

Router: DLink DI-524 with NAT ofcourse.

Topologies: All FTP servers and FTP clients on unregistered LAN

I would like to do FTP within the LAN (single intranet subnet)

FileZilla on Linux is running great with default configuration
command line FTP is also running great on Linux. Command line Microsoft FTP on WinXP Pro. works. I am able to FTP to the Linux server from the Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop
But FileZilla on Windows XP Pro. allows me to connect to the local Win Server 2000, but it does not allow (work) when I try to connect to the intranet Linux ubuntu. The error is:

22:41:33 Status: Resolving address of ubuntu.vntl.org
22:41:33 Status: Connecting to 172.30.253.17:21...
22:41:33 Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
22:41:54 Error: Connection timed out

I open up the Windows Firewall, and I also open up the router's firewall. On Windows XP Pro, the Microsoft built-in FTP command line works, the Mozilla Firefox with addon FireFTP does work. The FTP servers and workstations are all local on the same subnet LAN. FileZilla on WinXP Pro only works to Microsoft FTP server, but not to the Linux server. FileZilla for Linux works great! Microsoft FTP command line and FireFTP for firefox works but not FileZilla for Windows.

Anyone has suggestion for me? FileZilla FTP is super fast. I would love to use FileZilla for my XP desktop and laptop.

Many thanx in advance.

Michael.

boco
Contributor

Re: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

#2 Post by boco » 2008-10-15 01:16

Yes. For Intranet connection, you have to use the internal IP of the server. Neither the external name nor the external IP will work in most cases.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

msburg

#3 Post by msburg » 2008-10-15 17:46

I hope I don't offense anyone because my question may be very stupid. I am sorry in advance.

What happens if I don't have internet connection, I just have my own LAN, no router, no gateway, just a switch. And I have a Linux laptop and a WinXP workstation. Can I still use FileZilla? Or I do need to have an "external" (assigned and registered) IP address?

Thank you for your help.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2008-10-15 20:05

You don't need Internet. All you need is a network based on TCP/IP protocol. So, yes, you can use it in your LAN, you will even face less problems, as the whole router/portforward/external IP stuff doesn't apply to you.

Just try it.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

msburg

#5 Post by msburg » 2008-10-16 05:14

Thank you for all of your information. It took me days, reading the network configuration guide, and I tried and tried. I opened up all ports on the XP, but still does not work. I looked at my Linux laptop and the XP. I went back to XP and "Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Advanced" and I uncheck the "Local Area Connection", which is my only NIC on the XP. THE FILEZILLA WORKS!

I don't understand why I opened the TCP ports 21, 5000 to 5020 of the Windows Firewall using "Control Panel --> Exception --> Add Port...". And the FileZilla still does not work. I even disable "Application Layer Gateway Service" but FileZilla does not work.

So, the solution to the ".... waiting for welcome message" on XP is to uncheck the "Local Area Connection" under "Control Panel --> Windows Firewall --> Advanced".

I am still wondering why other FTP clients work with a check on the "Local Area Connection". Those FTP clients are: Classic FTP, AceFTP, BladeFTP, Windows FTP command line... They took longer to make connection to the FTP server on the LAN.

Anyway, thanx for all of the infos and great FileZilla... You may think of adding few lines in the manual to tell other users to "uncheck" the "Local Area Connection" to disable the Windows Firewall on that NIC.

Thanks again.... Many thanks... FileZilla works great now !

Michael

gwenig
First name: g
Last name: w

#6 Post by gwenig » 2009-01-07 15:00

I had a similar issue on windows server 2000, although id bet this is for most Windows machines OSs; my mistake was simple:

Under the Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Advanced->network connection settings click "Settings..." and make sure "FTP Server" is checked.