How to upload more than one file from command line?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Perry
500 Syntax error

#1 Post by Perry » 2005-04-28 21:38

Also, how to delete remote files from command line?

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

Re: How to upload more than one file from command line?

#2 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-04-29 03:38

Perry wrote:How to upload more than one file from command line?

Code: Select all

mput <file1 file2 file3...>
or
mput <file*.*>
Perry wrote:Also, how to delete remote files from command line?

delete <file>

mtrudel337
500 Command not understood

Re: How to upload more than one file from command line?

#3 Post by mtrudel337 » 2005-04-29 16:40

TheAngryPenguin wrote:
Perry wrote:How to upload more than one file from command line?

mput <file1 file2 file3...>
or
mput <file*.*>
Perry wrote:Also, how to delete remote files from command line?

delete <file>
Can you be more specific with this command line ?
Can you specify the complete command line ?

Thank you

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-04-29 19:45

Z:\>ftp localhost
Connected to ********.
220 FileZilla Server version 0.9.7 beta
User (********:(none)): ********
331 Password required for ********
Password:
230 Logged on
ftp> lcd Z:\TEMP
Local directory now Z:\TEMP.
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode Off .
ftp> mput new*.*
200 Port command successful
150 Opening data channel for file transfer.
226 Transfer OK
ftp: 2417 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 2417000.00Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer OK
ftp: 2421 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 2421000.00Kbytes/sec.
226 Transfer OK
ftp: 2274 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 2274000.00Kbytes/sec.
The only commands I entered in the above session were "ftp localhost" to connect to the ftp server, the username and password, and the 3 lines beginning with "ftp>". This was all done from the command line and should work identically in all recent versions of Windows.

Perry
500 Syntax error

Maybe you are not using FileZilla?

#5 Post by Perry » 2005-04-30 00:38

Um, that doesn't look like you are using the FileZilla client at all?

That looks like you are using the builtin MS-Windows ftp client (or some other ftp client, possibly on another operating system).

I was assuming that this forum, "Client Support", was for the FileZilla client, and I'm asking how to upload multiple files with the FileZilla client.

At least on MS-Windows, the FileZilla client is not invoked as "ftp", AFAIK, but rather as "FileZilla" -- and it doesn't give those angle bracket prompts either, but instead pops up a dialog (which is hard to use programmatically?)

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-04-30 05:32

Your OP inquired about "upload[ing] more than one file from [the] command line". FileZilla is a GUI-based FTP Client. While it may be possible to use filezilla.exe from a command prompt with specific switches and a predefined syntax in a more or less limited manner, your OP clearly did not indicate that that was what you were trying to accomplish.

If you are truly "asking how to upload multiple files with the FileZilla client", the answer is this: Simply click on the preferred files [1] and transfer them to or from the FTP server that you're connected to.

[1] Hold SHIFT and click on a adjacent group of files, or hold CTRL and click on non-adjacent files to make your selection.

Perry2
550 File not found

#7 Post by Perry2 » 2005-04-30 08:58

No, I'm not asking how to upload multiple files with the GUI client (altho, thank you for that info -- maybe someone reading this will be able to benefit).

I was asking how to upload more than one file from the command line.

I've not diagnosed the source code to see if that is possible.

The little text file about what can be done from the command line is pretty primitive, so I've come to the conclusion that it was a hack job -- and there is nothing wrong with a quick hack -- and I'm going to try to fix it up to at least accomplish what I need. I've not looked into transferring multiple files, because it is easy enough for me to work around that with zipping first.

As I said before, I assumed that this forum "Client Support" was for the client, so I was confused when you were speaking of Server support issues.

To reiterate, I'm speaking of client matters -- not server matters -- as I'm sure you know, FileZilla is the client, and FileZilla Server is the server.

I was asking about uploading more than one file from the command line, and I meant using the client (I assumed this entire forum was about the client, so I didn't bother to say that explicitly -- and anyways, uploading files is a client matter implicitly anyway :))

eyebex
226 Transfer OK

#8 Post by eyebex » 2005-04-30 09:56

Although TheAngryPenguin was a little bif off the track and misunderstood you, he's right in saying FZ currently does not support to upload multiple files from the command line. FZ is a GUI client. If you want something else but more powerful than Windows's built-in FTP client, take a look at http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

Perry2
550 File not found

Actually, multiple file transfer is possible now I think

#9 Post by Perry2 » 2005-04-30 17:08

Having just been reading (& modifying) the command line parsing, I think that it imight be actually possible to specify multiple uploads and/or downloads on the commandline -- because they're processed (of course) in a loop.

I'm not positive, because I didn't go back and check (it might ignore them after the first transfer -- but that could probably be changed).

But, what I really had wanted was anyway recursive & wildcard support.

Of course, it could be done by doing a recursive traversal outside of FileZilla -- and then one could use real regular expressions on directories and files -- and invoking FileZilla for each file desired. That costs the connection & TLS setup for every file individually, but almost certainly leads to the most flexible solution :)

re: ncftp
I like ncftp, but I've never used it for anything but plaintext ftp.

I see this in their FAQ:

#3) #

Q. Does NcFTP support any secure FTP modes a la SFTP/SSL/SSH Tunnels?

A. NcFTP does not have any built-in support for encryption or secure FTP of any type. We do not support any type of interaction with hacks such as FTP over SSH tunnels. We may implement a secure FTP mode at a future date, but please do not ask for an ETA.

That sounds like ncftp is only for plaintext transmission of passwords, which I'm not interested in -- I intend to use FileZilla on multiple systems as a regular user (ie, without installing any third party or system software), and I want a transmission that at the least does not send plaintext passwords. FileZilla is nice because (among other reasons that it is nice) it can be "installed" via xcopy -- that is, you can copy the files into a user-accessible directory, and run them as that user, without ever having to solicit Admin access from the governing network staff.

I apologize, as my posts have been rushed, and I've been tired and/or not thinking clearly, and they've been somewhat unclear and not of the highest quality :)

Perry2
550 File not found

windows

#10 Post by Perry2 » 2005-04-30 17:10

It is actually somewhat disappointing (to me) that it is 2005, and the MS-Windows ftp client still does not support either ftps or sftp, or reallly anything (except the decades old trust-everyone model, where we all started).

Thank heavens for Free Software (such as FileZilla), to allow me to solve the problems before me :)

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#11 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-04-30 19:15

Now that I better understand what you're trying to accomplish, I can appreciate your interest in using FileZilla in a command line environment. Honestly, I've never really looked into it myself because most operating systems have this functionability built in by default. It would be interesting to see if an exclusive command line branch of FileZilla that compliments its GUI could be developed in the hopefully near future. In the meantime, there are many free command line ftp clients that support FTPS as well as multiple file transfers and wildcards, one being MOVEit Freely. Grab a copy of it at pavelec.net/adam/MOVEit_Freely.7z if you'd rather not give them your personal information. Extract the two files in the archive and place them into your PATH (or %WINDIR%).

Perry2
550 File not found

re: MoveItFreely

#12 Post by Perry2 » 2005-04-30 21:16

re: MoveItFreely

I didn't know about that -- thanks.

Altho, now that I can compile my own exe to do what I want, I'm probably going to stay with it (ie, modified FileZilla), at least for a little while. :)