Seeking Help slow upload speeds

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

SecondFlux
500 Command not understood
First name: Stu
Last name: Purgavie

Seeking Help slow upload speeds

#1 Post by SecondFlux » 2009-02-09 13:16

Hello,

Running XP Pro with a gigabit onboard NIC. Fairly certian that all my settings in the Filezilla software indicate no limits. I am running a small FTP server off of my desktop for some other students in my campus wing. They cannot seem to get more than 6 - 20 KB/s on any file download. There is a router running Tomato 1.21 between the server computer and the campus wing switch, which is gigabit and without any vlans (configured it myself). The clients are using the client-side Filezilla software. I HAVE read the wiki @ http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Network_Configuration and this has not seemed to solve my problem. My Windows Firewall is configured openly, allowing full access to the FileZilla apps and each have their own exception. Additionally port 21 is open. Since they're able to download something, it suggests that my settings must be correct to some degree - they can download 300MB files, but it takes them about a full day to do so.

(I have a small feeling that one of the end users might be using his browser to access the FTP server on my computer, but I don't know that this should have a bearing on what my upload speed might be.)

When not using the FTP server installed on my computer, my computer has achieved consistent speeds of 600KB/s download and 200KB/s upload to a FTP server in russia. Which is to say that I know my computer is capable of outputting data far beyond what it is putting out to my LAN-mates.

If you could give me any tips on how I can absolutely rule out the possibility that this is the FileZilla server software that is bottlenecking the bandwidth, and hopefully additionally any suggestions as to where the bottleneck might be, I would appreciate it. In advance, thanks so much for your time!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Seeking Help slow upload speeds

#2 Post by botg » 2009-02-09 19:22

Try with Windows firewall disabled. Also, plug in your computer directly into the network bypassing your router. See if it makes a difference.

SecondFlux

#3 Post by SecondFlux » 2009-02-10 00:12

Sorry, that didn't help. Still maxing out at 20KB/s. Removed router from equation and turned off firewall - lots of pretty warning signs when I did that, but I ignored them all. Kinda stuck here - gone over that Network Config page about twelve times now, makes my eyes hurt but I don't want to have missed anything.

Any other ideas?

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2009-02-10 00:26

I am running a small FTP server off of my desktop for some other students in my campus wing.
Contact your network administrators. Many universities have policies against people running servers inside their network.

SecondFlux

#5 Post by SecondFlux » 2009-02-10 09:08

I have contacted my sysadmin. He says that any switch traffic I produce is just fine, but that I have to stay local. Which is to say that I can't jump to different segments. But this shouldn't be a problem. Right now, I'm only serving files to the LAN, and the LAN is brought together by a gigabit switch which is unmetered and uncontrolled. According to the sysadmin, the situation I've got here is totally within the acceptable policies of the college I attend - there would only be a problem if I was serving files to people off campus. Supposedly, the problem isn't with the switch.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2009-02-10 12:16

Got any virus scanners or so-called security solutions? They too can degrade performance big time.

Make sure your networking card drivers are fully updated and any integraded hardware firewalls are disabled (e.g. some nForce chipsets have it iirc). Toggle the TCP checksum offloading setting (might be named differently).

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2009-02-10 19:15

Another performance boost could occour if you adjust your MTU and RWIN settings.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

SecondFlux

#8 Post by SecondFlux » 2009-02-10 20:24

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I wasn't aware of my intergrated hardware firewall, but once I found it and disabled it that helped tons. Playing with the MTU settings also helped a bit. I got my upload speed up to 20 MB/s - a HUGE leap from 20 KB/s. Wheeee!~

Thanks muchly once again!