Doesn't Filezilla support script file?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

vsrawat
500 Syntax error

Doesn't Filezilla support script file?

#1 Post by vsrawat » 2009-03-05 21:04

I needed to write a script (say in Automate6.2.8) to download and upload a file from a ftp server.

I explored all menu options and I couldn't any method of running a sort of "script" or command in Filezilla through which I can do a predefined set of tasks. Everything needs to be done thru mouse, eg.

- If I have defined a site "automate6", I have to run site manager (File menu or Ctrl-S) and manually move to that site name and press enter to run. There is no way to assign a keyboard shortcut or serial number to a particular site defined in site manager so as to reach to it directly. Say I have 10 sites defined, and I want to reach to Automate6 directly, there is no way other than moving through up down arrow. And if i type out the name, it have to be typed fast enough (a-u-t-o etc) otherwise if there is a gap between a and u it would not go to au but go to first a and then to a site starting with u.

I think every site can be given a simple serial no. or alphabet and there should be some method of selecting that site through that number/ alphabet.

2. After I anyhow connect to the site successfully, and I want to reach the "remote file list" pane, there is just no way to go there by simple keyboard shortcut. I have to either use mouse to click on that pane, or to repeatedly press tab a dozen time till I reach there.

the same is the condition if, after selecting the file on remote server, I want to go to local folder file list pane. I again have to either use mouse or to press shift-tab a few times.

I thing every tab should be give some Alt or otherwise simple key combination, pressing which will take us to that pane.
say
Alt F1 local (folder list)
Alt F2 local (file list)
alt F3 remote site (folder list)
alt F4 remote site (file list)
alt F5 queued transfers

3. Now, I have selected the file in remote folder, and select the local folder, there is just no direct command that i can give to copy that file to current folder, I have to just drag and drop with a mouse.

If you mean that is possible by giving and direct ftp command, well, I found that "get test.xls c:\test1.xls" was giving a "invalid command" whereas get/ recv/ retr are supposed to be valid ftp commands. I mean, when filezilla can copy the file with drag and drop, then it does know what is the command working on the server to make that possible by command line command, but there is either no way to do that for us, or may be your handling of command line commands is messed up.

4. And when I have all the above steps pre-known, why can't I store them in some text file commands and windows-run "c:\program files\filezilla automate6.txt" and all this is automatically done and I get my that file copied from remote to my local folder.

ftp had started as a command line interface and had served millions for decades.

Filezilla is excellent GuI but it is sad that it has done away with command line commands altogether and has poor support for keyboard shortcuts.

Hope some thought would be given to it all.

Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Doesn't Filezilla support script file?

#2 Post by botg » 2009-03-05 22:18

You want to use a commandline client for automated tasks. GUI automation, it's like gourmet fast food or original fake horse manure...

vsrawat
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by vsrawat » 2009-03-06 04:14

> You want to use a commandline client for automated tasks. GUI automation, it's like gourmet fast food or original fake horse manure...

I am already using filezilla only for several years and was happy with it. I had never even tried MS FTP, that I had to learn to use for this specific work.

Still, I don't see why the command line options can't be included in filezilla. You do have option of Server - Enter Custom Command. But that entertains just one command at a time.

--
One bug there - that "Enter Custom Command" doesn't remember the previous command we entered. So once we enter something and run that or close the mini window, and when we open the Enter Custom Command window the next time, we get a blank window and we have to type the command again. Only if it can remember last command, or even all previous commands given in this session accessible thru a drop down list, or if it can store all commands in some text file..
--

When I am having filezilla, why should I use MS FTP or any other FTP. Filezilla can include that in itself.

And most of the things that I wrote above - like method to select defined sites in site manager, or direct jumping to a specific pane, those are keyboard shortcuts for GUI improvements, those are not command line things.

Thanks.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2009-03-06 21:27

If that helps you, there are Command-line_arguments to auto-connect Filezilla to a server at startup.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

vsrawat
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by vsrawat » 2009-03-06 21:55

boco wrote:If that helps you, there are Command-line_arguments to auto-connect Filezilla to a server at startup.
yup, that is indeed helpful. Shall try this out.

Thanks a gig.

vsrawat
500 Syntax error

#6 Post by vsrawat » 2009-04-03 12:47

I explored command line options. They are a tad helpful but are minimal and do only 2-3 tasks leaving the vast features of fz to gui-based.

I tried this one: http://www.winscp.net
It has an installer as well as a portable version. I was able to maneuver pretty easily with the keyboard. It also supports batch/scripts and command line interface.

I think fz developers should add similar features. For a long time, i am seeing that new versions are being released without much of the feature added. Whatever bugs are getting fixed are transparent to users. So, fz is fast on the path of becoming stale and outdated unless you add more features like the ones I felt the need for.

I don't think why fz has to be gui oriented. Even if it has, it can give alternatives for keyboard shortcuts and fully-featured command line. Saying that "use other client if you don't want to use gui of fz" is just bidding a devoted user goodbye.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2009-04-04 05:22

No. It's just telling the user how he will achive it's automation results best - not with Filezilla. Commandline clients are by design fully scriptable, thus best suited for that task.

Btw you should read this: http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... 415#p38415
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org