Server Passive Mode Problems

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

docz4008
500 Command not understood
First name: Doc
Last name: Dyno

Server Passive Mode Problems

#1 Post by docz4008 » 2009-07-25 13:33

The FileZilla server works fine in the LOCAL mode, but no connection is made in the passive mode. It's set to retrieve an external address and use port 21. Another FTP server (BPFTP) uses another external address and port 23 and it works fine. Both external addresses are supplied by NO-IP and both work fine with the BPFTP server, but not FileZilla.

What could I have setup wrong in FileZilla ?

Please advise ASAP...

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Server Passive Mode Problems

#2 Post by botg » 2009-07-25 13:39

Broken router and/or firewall sabotaging the connection.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2009-07-26 04:31

Read Network Configuration already?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by redleg » 2009-07-26 16:56

do you have a custom port range set in passive mode settings for the server and those same ports forwarded by your router to the server PC?
Network Config Guide (setup & connection issues)
FileZilla wiki (FAQs, screenshots, & "got logs?" info:)
FTP server test (plain), FTP(E)S server test (encrypted)
FTP commands (see also List_of_FTP_server_return_codes)

docz4008

#5 Post by docz4008 » 2009-08-01 15:48

redleg wrote:do you have a custom port range set in passive mode settings for the server and those same ports forwarded by your router to the server PC?
I have ports 21 and 23 setup in the router and have used the BPFTP server sueccessfully with both. I use No-IP for the server names on the net. FileZilla works locally, but a remote passive connection can't be made. The client verifys the server name has been resolved and conneced to and it just waits for the WELCOME message. The FileZilla server doesn't even show a connection attempt ( simply nothing ). Since my BPFTP serever works great I'm stumped ! FileZilla's port range was set to 20 to 21 since I want to use port 21 for the server.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#6 Post by redleg » 2009-08-01 17:13

I hesitate to sound like a broken record here, but seriously, there are some very good reasons botg and boco say the same thing *so* many times...

You have a number of issues at work here. First, you need to set a custom port range for passive mode (20 and 21 is probably not good enough and most likely what active FTP will operate on), set 50 or so ports in a high group, like 5000 or above. then ensure your router is set to forward all those ports to the computer running FZs.

second, it is very difficult to overcome router sabotage when you are connecting with a client from the same computer as the server as well routers tend to muck things up when you connect from same LAN by going out to say, No-IP to get your external address resolved then back into the LAN to try and run a session with server.

anyways, some things to try:

first make sure BPFTP server is not listening on any ports you want to use FZs on, if it uses port 21 normally shut it down as FZs cannot use it as well.

in FZs options, passive mode settings, make sure the "don't use external IP for local connections" setting is unchecked. also make sure you have set the custom port range here in the boxes- don't use ports in use by anything else, including FZs (i.e. port 21) and pick a high port number to start the range from (keeps nervous ISPs from blocking, which is common below port 1024)

if you are using FZ client to connect out to No-IP and back in to your FZs running on same machine/LAN then edit settings, connection, passive mode, and make sure the bullet is in the "Use the server's external address instead" block.

finally, before assuming FZs is at fault, slowly reread the entire Networking Configuration, the guide already pointed to- as well, attempt to connect to your server from an actual remote IP, like a remote port forwarding proxy (I use SSH tunnels to a service for this) or use the website Tim has setup for us to use in troubleshooting and post back the logs you get from trying that. https://ftptest.net/

also see: Help and FAQs oh, and there is probably countless messages in the forum on the subject too... ;)

docz4008

#7 Post by docz4008 » 2009-08-02 21:57

I have found the problem with the FileZilla Server and Windows settings. I basically opened up Windows Firewall and adjusted the ZileZilla Client settings and all is fine now. The use of my No-IP web addresses works fine with FileZilla. Both the Server and Client work great.

General Comment: Perhaps I'm missing the proper method, but it would be very helpful to be able to ATTACH an image or two file to a post or a reply. Many times this is the best method to explain an observed action or perhaps setting and such.

I would be happy to help someone else who may be having server or client problems and to explain all the functional settings I used to make things work.

redleg
226 Transfer OK

#8 Post by redleg » 2009-08-02 22:29

docz4008 wrote:I have found the problem with the FileZilla Server and Windows settings. I basically opened up Windows Firewall and adjusted the ZileZilla Client settings and all is fine now. The use of my No-IP web addresses works fine with FileZilla. Both the Server and Client work great.
cool, that it worked out- if you recall the first thing botg and boco said it may come together quicker next time :)
docz4008 wrote:General Comment: Perhaps I'm missing the proper method, but it would be very helpful to be able to ATTACH an image or two file to a post or a reply. Many times this is the best method to explain an observed action or perhaps setting and such.

I would be happy to help someone else who may be having server or client problems and to explain all the functional settings I used to make things work.
the Networking Configuration guide has some screenshots, as does the FileZilla wiki, main page. If you see some room for adding and/or improving those I am sure admin won't mind you volunteering to put some up.