Error: Could not connect to server

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

ButterBeer
500 Command not understood
First name: Bob
Last name: Jim

#1 Post by ButterBeer » 2007-12-20 00:29

I have a NAT router and I have a host from No-IP. I get this error when I try to connect:

Status: Resolving IP-Address for butterbeer121.servegame.com

I think the problem is with the Username/Password. What should I set it as? Should I set it as my routers password, or do I have to create an account somewhere? My router still has the default username/password, but when I put those into FileZilla, it edits the values from blank to "anonymous" and the password from "*****" to "**************".

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Error: Could not connect to server

#2 Post by botg » 2007-12-20 09:19

Read the Network Configuration guide.

GenniferFlowers
504 Command not implemented
First name: Gennifer
Last name: Flowers

#3 Post by GenniferFlowers » 2008-02-20 19:47

ButterBeer,

I am NOT behind a router; yet am experiencing similar difficulties... When I tried to remedy my situation by uninstalling the latest version of FileZilla(v.3.0.7.1) and reinstalling the previous version (v.3.0.6.1) [I believe I remembered the version numbers correctly! If not, please forgive!] -- I got a VERY SIMILAR Response in the Status Bar Area with both Versions. As follows is a copy of what I'm getting in the Status Bar Area: (First, however, I wanted top say that I ALSO Am getting the change to Anonymous and the P.W. Change has the same number of stars, so it seems like something FileZilla is doing for us! I could, however, be wrong!) Anyway...

Status Bar INFO when attempting to reconnect with Server utilizing FileZilla v.3.0.6.1:

Status Bar INFO when attempting to reconnect with Server utilizing FileZilla v.3.0.7.1:

Error: Connection timed out

The only difference is the line "Error: Connection timed out".
As in, I STILL Get The INEVITABLE "Error: Could not connect to server" line! WHY?

gf

P.S. After reading materials at the following link... http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/smcftpd/ I tried utilizing FileZilla Without My Firewall Activated. Then I remembered recently changing my Mode form Passive to Active for a few minutes, then back again (and I don't remember Why!). Anyway, I feel that I May have contracted the "P@SW bug" mentioned in the link I just gave. Supposedly, However, The "...RaidenFTPD team...now support(s) the P@SW command which the SMC Barricade produces".

So I guess I will try RaidenFTP.

For more information see http://www.raidenftpd.com/kb/kb.html and http://www.raidenftpd.com/en/

(As for mentioning other FTP Programs here, I Got ALL Above Info and links Off The FileZilla Link mentioned above by Admin!) Good Luck Everyone! I'll try to come back and let y'all know how I fared!

gf

P.S.S. Before trying Raiden (I still have not!) I DOUBLE-CHECKED TO MAKE SURE I HAD TRIED OPENING FileZilla After Closing ALL My Many Firewalls (As ADMIN. Suggested)! I closed 'em down one at a time and re-checked FileZilla each time, so I would know which one (if any) was causing the problem. I don't know about anybody else, but ADMIN. HAS A POINT AND IT WORKED FOR ME (at least for a few minutes!)! I Closed Down ALL My Firewalls, Restarted FileZilla and IT WORKED AGAIN FOR A COUPLE MINUTES! Unfortunately, I Put Back ALL My Firewalls AFTER I Got FileZilla and It Didn't Again! As I Kind Of Hate The Thought Of Having To Only Be Able To Utilize FileZilla While I Leave my Computer Wholly Unprotected, I Continued On, shutting down my Firewalls and even uninstalling one or two! I Finally got it to work! After I stopped using one of PeerGuardian2's I.P. Address-Blocking Lists, I was able to utilize FileZilla once again! I can even use it, (as I used to!), while at the same time using PeerGuardian2 (minus that list!) & DL & UL with a bittorrent client All At The Same Time! Unfortunately, IT STILL TIMES OUT EVERY FEW SECONDS, AND WHEN THAT TIME-OUT ACTUALLY CORRESPONDS WITH A FILE TRANSFER, IT FAILS! Of course, I can reqeue and toggle the transfer again, but UNFORTUNATELY, IT WILL ONLY TRANSFER 131,072 BYTES OF EACH FILE, NO MATTER THE SIZE (and it will still say the entire transfer of each file was successful!)! So, THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM SOMEWHERE! I Just Hope This Gigantic Book Actually Helps Somebody Out There (WHICH I AM SURE IT DID, SINCE I WAS FOOLISH ENOUGH TO PUT ALL MY !*$^ OUT THERE FOR EVERYBODY FOR DAYS!); Hopefully, My Verbosity Got In The Way! I'm Completely &%$ed now! I gotta go fix the hell I have created and pray I am Ever able to Ever Use Any FTP Ever Again! ENJOY and Good Luck! Of Course, I'm still looking for someone tell me why I am only able to upload up to 131,072 bytes per file! gf
Last edited by GenniferFlowers on 2008-02-23 19:33, edited 11 times in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2008-02-20 19:55

Firewall?

geeza
500 Command not understood
First name: geeza
Last name: worst

#5 Post by geeza » 2009-08-23 01:18

I've got these command:
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

What must I do now?
Help me please..

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2009-08-23 12:53

What must I do now?
-Post into the correct forum
-Open your own thread
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org