[Patch-Offer] Proxy password(s) should be asked

Moderator: Project members

grubi
500 Command not understood

[Patch-Offer] Proxy password(s) should be asked

#1 Post by grubi » 2009-12-15 07:28

Hello,

I found several topics with a request for an option, that prompts for a proxy password.
I implemented this changes because of security policies in my company and now i want to ask you, whether you want to have this patch for the official release of FileZilla.

Changes:
  • german language-file was updated to contain the new phrases
  • settings pages of "generic proxy" and "FTP proxy" changed:
    • checkbox "ask for password" added
    • on save: Changes in these two pages forces all connections to be closed (prompted)
  • new configuration-options added to the filezilla.xml
  • new configuration-option added to the fzdefault.xml
    • "ask for password" could be set from there. It will disable the checkbox on the settings pages
  • internal change in the engine:
    • password will now come out of a new configuration-entry (filled during the loginprocess from the prompt or the filezilla.xml) declared as "internal"
The last point is not so nice, but due to the design of FileZilla I can't find a other way to do it.

If there is any interest in this patch, i will post it here.

Related ticket: http://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/1795
Last edited by grubi on 2010-04-15 07:38, edited 2 times in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: [Patch-Offer] Proxy password(s) should be asked

#2 Post by botg » 2009-12-15 18:59

Thanks. Patches should go to http://trac.filezilla-project.org/
on save: Changes in these two pages forces all connections to be closed (prompted)
Why?
* german language-file was updated to contain the new phrases

The last point is not so nice, but due to the design of FileZilla I can't find a other way to do it.
:shock:

grubi

#3 Post by grubi » 2009-12-16 07:09

on save: Changes in these two pages forces all connections to be closed (prompted)
I only changed it because there were some problems when the changed proxy settings are wrong.
You should know, that the connections could timeout after few minutes. When you change the directory on the server-side, than it reconnects with the login information, that are stored in a server-struct. The engine doesn't recognize the wrong information and keeps trying it without sending a "wrong password" to the loginmanager (you have to reconnect by hand). So it's just a feature to avoid this - not needed at all, but the most user do not really look in the log-windows to determine the reason for the failure and will kep asking the same question all the time. Only a few lines to change it back.

* german language-file was updated to contain the new phrases

A little mistake in my post. It was meant for the point before that one. I fixed it in the first post.

Sorry, my english is not the best at all, but you should understand, what i mean :-P

jcridge

#4 Post by jcridge » 2010-07-30 15:06

Is there any update on this patch?

We sorely need functionality such as this in FileZilla as our FTP proxy makes use of SecurID tokens for passwords and these change every minute. Now we have to go under "Settings" | "FTP Proxy" and update the password EACH time we make a connection with FileZilla. Having a popup that would prompt us for the proxy password for each connection would be awesome.

Thanks for a great FTP client and thanks for your work on this patch.

jcridge

grubi

#5 Post by grubi » 2010-08-23 10:21

Sorry, that i didn't respond a long time. I went to school the last few month and actually I have a project at the company where I'm working. As soon as I finished that project I will recreate the patch to resolve the last remaining problems.

jjcurry
First name: James
Last name: Curry

#6 Post by jjcurry » 2010-12-06 15:19

Is there an ETA on when this feature might be included in FileZilla? My new job requires SecurID pin+code to login to the FTP proxy, and without the ability to prompt for this, I need to learn a new FTP client :-(

I think the most flexible solution would be to offer a %q - Query User in the proxy configuration. This would allow prompting at any point in the process for any reason.

Just my .02

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#7 Post by botg » 2010-12-06 17:16

Unfortunately the proposed patch does not quite meet the desired quality standard. Unless the patch author or somebody else addresses and solves the technical concerns, it might take a while to get this feature into FileZilla.

grubi

#8 Post by grubi » 2011-02-09 08:08

Just a little notice: New patch created and posted to the tracker

grubi

#9 Post by grubi » 2011-03-14 10:15

not interested anymore @botg?

botg
Site Admin