Small but useful suggestion

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

fizzybiz
504 Command not implemented

Small but useful suggestion

#1 Post by fizzybiz » 2010-01-15 05:44

Hi,

Just wondering if this can be done in the next release, to make things a bit simpler for copying files. Currently, if a file exists when up/downloading, a dialog pops up asking if I want to overwrite the existing file.

The buttons on the dialog are "OK" and "Cancel", and there are some very confusing tick-boxes on the right:
1. Always use this action,
2. Apply to current queue only,
3. Apply only to uploads.

Confusing and too hard! Technically I appreciate the variety of options, but just having an "OK To All" button would be far simpler for quick, immediate use. It's a very common UI design to have an "ok to all" button. Can this be added? It would make things so much simpler. :)

[ed] Just to clarify - when doing lots of site updates, uploading files here and there, it's just irksome to have to click the right tickbox each time. I don't want to tick "always use this action", and I don't want to risk ticking it when I'm in a hurry and have to whizz the mouse around from the tick-boxes to the OK button every time I want to upload a couple of files. Hope you know what I mean.. so an "ok to all" which applies that particular upload would be perfect.

[ed again] omg... just noticed that when uploading a few files, and I want to *cancel* the upload, I have to click Cancel for every single file. That's a pain as well.

And when I click "Apply to Current Queue", it automatically selects "always use this action" - that's not what I want. So I have to click 3 times on the dialog just to basically say "ok to all" or "cancel all"... ick.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Small but useful suggestion

#2 Post by botg » 2010-01-15 06:57

omg... just noticed that when uploading a few files, and I want to *cancel* the upload, I have to click Cancel for every single file. That's a pain as well.
Choose skip and mark the checkbox to apply the selection only to the files currently in queue.

fizzybiz

#3 Post by fizzybiz » 2010-01-15 07:35

botg wrote:Choose skip and mark the checkbox to apply the selection only to the files currently in queue.
By that, I assume you mean:
1. Click "Apply to Current Queue Only"
2. This causes the box "Always use this action" to become ticked, so un-tick that.
3. Click cancel.

So that's 3 steps just to cancel something. That's my point.

The same 3 steps apply if I want to do the equivalent of "Ok to All" - there should be really be a button for that next to "OK", and a "Cancel All" button next to "Cancel". That would make far more sense.

If "Always use this action" means the option I'm selecting will always be in effect from now on, why does it require me to *un-tick* "Always use" each time? If I wanted the option to be permanent, surely that's when I would click "Always use", instead of having it ticked for me each time. Very painful!

Hopefully you're open to usability suggestions, as I get the feeling it's a case of "tough luck - use it like it is", which is usually the response of closed-source products.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2010-01-15 19:14

You do not cancel, you choose skip and select ok.

fizzybiz

#5 Post by fizzybiz » 2010-01-15 19:48

I don't mean to be rude, but you're not listening to what I'm saying.

Ok, the "skip" method is:
1. Click the "Skip" radio button.
2. Click "Apply to Current Queue"
3. Click off "Always use this action" (as it gets turned on when I do step 2)
4. Click OK.

All I want to do is say "yes overwrite everything this time". Why can't I just click an "Ok to All" button, which is pretty much a standard, instead of wrestling a number of dialog settings? Why should I click 4 times on different parts of the dialog to do something so basic and frequently needed as "overwrite all"? Every other app Iv'e seen has that approach except FZ.

I do want to support open source, but I've only been using it a few days and already getting peezed with it, and for fairly routine stuff. I'm just pointing out there are some odd UI choices that could use some revision.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2010-01-15 23:58

Because there's different kinds of "all". All always, all in queue, all uploads and so on...

fizzybiz

#7 Post by fizzybiz » 2010-01-16 06:35

I realise that, the functionality is good. But imo, as a user, clicking 3 different things every time I want to confirm a batch of files isn't worth it at all. It's a common task made inconvenient. So I'll probably move on to something else.