User Passwords

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

NightNetworks
500 Command not understood
First name: Jason
Last name: Codispoti

User Passwords

#1 Post by NightNetworks » 2010-01-30 22:28

OK So I am running my FTP Server and was wondering if there is any way that the users can change there own password. As at this time I have to change the password for them. . .

I was reading online something about Raw FTP commands that can be sent threw a FTP client that would then allow the user to change there password.

If any one knows how I can set this up so that the user can change there password please tell me.

Thank You
NightNetworks Admin

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: User Passwords

#2 Post by botg » 2010-01-30 22:29

Not possible using FileZilla Server.

NightNetworks
First name: Jason
Last name: Codispoti

#3 Post by NightNetworks » 2010-01-30 22:34

Thank You for your fast reply.

I was wondering thought what do you guys do to change passwords for people. I am currently making passwords for new users and giving them that password via e-mail and informing them that if they would like to change it to something else that they will need to e-mail me there new password and that I will change it for them. This is the best solution that I have been able to come up with for this problem was just wondering if anyone else has come up with a better idea that I am not thinking of.

Thank You
NightNetworks Admin

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2010-01-31 07:04

Just encrypt the emails (PGP/GPG or the like). Email is an unsafe way of transport.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

ss2711

#5 Post by ss2711 » 2010-02-08 17:55

Is there anyway to have a user set his/her own password? Not remotely, but directly on the server.
Also is there a way to set up a password on startup of the server interface so that the admin settings are protected? I know there is a admin password option during setup, but it doesnt show up at startup?

Thanks a lot!

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2010-02-08 23:46

If the user has physical access to the server, (s)he can fill in the password of the account him-/herself. Otherwise, no. Note that if you have the MD5 hash of the user's password, you could write it into the XML file yourself.

Also is there a way to set up a password on startup of the server interface so that the admin settings are protected? I know there is a admin password option during setup, but it doesnt show up at startup?
You can set a password in in the lower part of Settings - Admin interface settings.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Zitoun
First name: Zitoun

#7 Post by Zitoun » 2010-02-10 10:59

I noticed the following strange (until proven wanted) feature in Filezilla Server:

First I configured Filezilla with FTPES (SSL + explicit) and everything worked for my current user account.
But when I added a new user and set his password to be the exact user login, the client only shows an emtpy directory.
As soon as the password is different than the username, it works OK though: I see everything I have to.

Now you might tell me that there is no point in using SSL if I don't apply the first security rule, meaning having a solid password. And that this seriously nice tool that is Filezilla server is crafted so that such basics are to be applied...

I would then reply that the weird thing is that such behavior doesn't occur when I set my user to have no password (uncheck "password" box).
Anyway, this might not be a bug, but I just wanted to check :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#8 Post by botg » 2010-02-10 19:13

There must be something else you have changes besides the password, it should not make such difference.