Host IP

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

sabrefreak
500 Command not understood
First name: erick

Host IP

#1 Post by sabrefreak » 2010-09-01 15:47

I'm considering setting up Filezilla Server to replace the FTP we are currently using from our ISP.
However, what would I put in for the Host value in Filezilla Client? Currently, I get that from the ISP and from what I have read in various articles on Server it does not appear that it will just cough up an IP value for me to use. :?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Host IP

#2 Post by botg » 2010-09-01 21:18

However, what would I put in for the Host value in Filezilla Client?
The IP address or hostname of the machine you have installed FileZilla Server on.

sabrefreak
500 Command not understood
First name: erick

#3 Post by sabrefreak » 2010-09-02 20:17

botg wrote:[The IP address or hostname of the machine you have installed FileZilla Server on.
Thanks. Now, I use currently a 192.x.y.z addressing system. Internally, I should then have no problem addressing the Filezilla Server.
However, what about from outside the building - ex from a client site or someone working from home? If I type in that 192.x.y.z and they are using a similar IP network, won't it get all muffed up?

Stunner
226 Transfer OK
First name: A
Last name: Dog

#4 Post by Stunner » 2010-09-03 05:56

sabrefreak wrote:
botg wrote:[The IP address or hostname of the machine you have installed FileZilla Server on.
Thanks. Now, I use currently a 192.x.y.z addressing system. Internally, I should then have no problem addressing the Filezilla Server.
However, what about from outside the building - ex from a client site or someone working from home? If I type in that 192.x.y.z and they are using a similar IP network, won't it get all muffed up?
Yes, thats why you need to use a domain name service such as http://www.dyndns.com/ to provide you with URL forwarding(I think that is what it is called). But what you do with those types of services is specify a URL(lets say mysite.dynalias.com) that you would like to use to gain access to your server. Then there is a client you have to download from them that you are to keep running on the server, or a machine that is always on in your LAN. That software indicates to the DNS provider the external IP address of your network so that when you type, in our case mysite.dynalias.com, the packets are routed to your network and depending on your router configuration, those packets will be forwarded to one of the machines on your network and can establish a connection with the client.

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2010-09-03 09:02

Please read the Network Configuration guide.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org