Very slow loading at times in Windows 7

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied
First name: Hugh
Last name: Kallen

Re: Very slow loading at times in Windows 7

#16 Post by Hugh_K » 2011-04-26 15:35

If this is a known issue, why not put an option for "ignore mapped drives until needed".

I run a lot of windows programs but none of them take 3 minutes to load, and I see this issue come up fairly frequently here.

califdon
500 Command not understood
First name: Donald
Last name: Ravey

#17 Post by califdon » 2011-06-18 02:51

I'm running Win XP and just began experiencing a consistent 55 second launch time for FileZilla 3.5.0. As far as I can tell, there are no other high usage processes running and I haven't had any slowdown of other programs loading at all. Once it starts, everything works great. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, with no difference. As someone said earlier, this is a great program, but this is a serious flaw. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that Windows is the culprit, but it doesn't impact any other software that I use (and I use a lot). I hope this issue gets resolved. A minute can be a long time to have to wait when you really need to transfer a few files.

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#18 Post by Hugh_K » 2011-06-18 03:15

If this is a known issue, why not put an option for "ignore mapped drives until needed".

I run a lot of windows programs but none of them take 3 minutes to load, and I see this issue come up fairly frequently here.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#19 Post by botg » 2011-06-18 12:00

These issues are almost always caused by broken virus scanners completely scanning each file each and every time even though some program merely requests file attributes such as name, type, icon and size.

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#20 Post by Hugh_K » 2011-06-18 14:50

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, current version.

Given that this is an issue for so many people, why not put an option for "ignore mapped drives until needed".

boco
Contributor

#21 Post by boco » 2011-06-18 16:59

You are starting to repeat yourself. You sound like a broken record. The dev is actively reading the forums and certainly heard you the first time. 8)

Did you check if it is faster when MSSE is uninstalled? While MSSE may be the culprit here, Windows networking in itself has its good share of flaws and problems, including slowness. For exact that reason I stopped using it long time ago (Windows 95). Since then, I've seen the hourglass/spinning wheel much less.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#22 Post by Hugh_K » 2011-06-18 19:38

I appreciate what you are saying but the solution is so simple I keep saying it. I use many programs, including other FTP programs, dreamweaver, and many many others, and none of them take 3 min to start up. The programmer has already identified slow network drives cause this. I know my network drives are very slow because it takes a long time for windows explorer to display the files on my network drive the first time I click on it. But I never, ever use FTP to transfer a file from or to my network drive. So a checkbox saying "ignore networked drives" would resolve this issue for nearly every user with this same problem. And then the programmer, who has created an excellent ftp program except for this, will have solved the issue for all concerned. Done.

boco
Contributor

#23 Post by boco » 2011-06-18 20:14

Don't forget that FileZilla is a multi-platform application. Working around that problem (if it is even easily fixable due to third party components used) would mean to introduce a significant share of Windows-specific code into the code base. This could complicate things a lot (yes I know that you can control it at compiling time).

Anyway, as I'm not a developer, my opinion is not important. It's entirely Tim's decision.

dougyfish
First name: Doug
Last name: Snyder

#24 Post by dougyfish » 2011-09-08 18:32

I was having the same issue. Removing mapped drives that were not connected took the launch time from 15+ seconds to under 5.

HTH,
Doug

Footy
First name: Online
Last name: Footy Boots

#25 Post by Footy » 2011-09-09 01:05

Yes same here.
I use Windows 7 and filezilla takes minutes to load.
I also use CuteFTP client.

pixelpadre
504 Command not implemented
First name: steve
Last name: steve

#26 Post by pixelpadre » 2013-11-02 22:08

I have been experiencing the same sloooooooow loading of filezilla. It can take 3 minutes to load. A real PITA. I have check for updates set to off.

And I dont have any mapped network drives. Odd thing is that it only does it after not using it for an extended period of time. If I logout and restart filezilla, it will open right up.

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#27 Post by Hugh_K » 2015-01-05 17:07

I wanted to come back and say THANK YOU for resolving this issue. Sometime in the last several months the load time went from 3 minutes to 0 minutes. I am grateful to the DEV for paying attention to our concerns and fixing this!

Last edited by boco on 2015-01-05 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed.

boco
Contributor

#28 Post by boco » 2015-01-05 19:05

We do not appreciate hidden spam/advertisement. Yes, we do notice it, we ain't stupid.

Hugh_K
550 Permission denied

#29 Post by Hugh_K » 2015-01-05 19:42

boco wrote:We do not appreciate hidden spam/advertisement. Yes, we do notice it, we ain't stupid.
Either way, thank you!