editing and opening HTML files from the client

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

JasonD
450 Internal Error
First name: Jason
Last name: Doucette

editing and opening HTML files from the client

#1 Post by JasonD » 2011-06-29 19:09

Right clicking on an .HTML file shows "Open" and "Edit". Yet they both do the same thing; they invoke the "Open" command that is default for the .HTML file. In my case, this opens it in Google Chrome. Sure I can set the default action in Explorer to open with WordPad, but then when I click on HTML shortcuts, it opens in WordPad, so this isn't a solution. In Explorer, it's easy: I just select the "Open With..." and choose WordPad. But, back in the day, there used to be am "Open" and "Edit" in the context menus, and you could set them both to be different things. Is FileZilla attempting to invoke these two context menus? Since the "Edit" no longer exists, and it may be why when I right click in FileZilla on an HTML to "Edit", it just "Open"s the file.

How do I get FileZilla to do two different things for "Open" and "Edit"?
I want "Open" to invoke Google Chrome.
I want "Edit" to invoke WordPad.

P.S. why is it so hard to set these actions in both Explorer and FileZilla? I just don't get it. Isn't "Open" and "Edit" common things for a user?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: editing and opening HTML files from the client

#2 Post by botg » 2011-06-30 05:57

Open always opens with system association. Edit may take in the editor overrides from FileZilla's settings and also marks the file as being edited so that you get prompted to upload the file again should it change.

JasonD
450 Internal Error

#3 Post by JasonD » 2011-06-30 11:56

Thanks. Ok I finally got it to work, like so:

Under Edit -> Settings -> File editing, I have the following:
- Use custom editor, pointing to WordPad
- Always use default editor

(What I was trying to do, was to use the default system association for "Edit", but I have no idea if such a thing even exists sill in Windows Vista, and even if it does, I have no idea how to change it anymore, and even if I did, I have no idea if FileZilla was paying attention to it.)

I have another issue though. When I edit a file, and then close it. And then edit it again, FileZilla always tells me it's already being edited. Why doesn't it know that the editing has been completed, and is no longer being edited?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2011-06-30 19:24

It is technically impossible to detect when some program has finished a file. That's why the user needs to explicitly tell FileZilla that editing has finished.

JasonD
450 Internal Error

#5 Post by JasonD » 2011-06-30 20:19

I see, and that makes total sense. How does a user tell FileZilla that editing is completed?

Perhaps it shouldn't step in for this, since other programs do not, and it's normally up to the user to know if they are editing the same file twice. FileZilla, on the other hand, can do something useful still, by monitoring the folder and seeing if the file has changed, and letting you know, even if the user has saved the file and continues to edit.

(Personally, I prefer to handle this myself, and not be interrupted with dialog boxes that sometimes take a while to pop up, when I can upload faster manually as soon as I'm done editing.)

Anyway, just some thoughts.
Thanks.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2011-06-30 21:33

How does a user tell FileZilla that editing is completed?
Either you select the ''Finish editing and delete local file'' checkbox in the popup dialog window, or you use the ''Show files currently being edited'' command from menu File.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

JasonD
450 Internal Error

#7 Post by JasonD » 2011-06-30 21:49

Ok thank you for your time! It is appreciated.