How to see ACTUALLY transfered vs "successful transfers"

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

jayzilla
504 Command not implemented
First name: Jay
Last name: Smith

How to see ACTUALLY transfered vs "successful transfers"

#1 Post by jayzilla » 2011-06-23 18:37

Perhaps I am not understanding something basic about FZ, but the list of "successful transfers" is, in my opinion, not a list of actual transfered files, but instead it is a list of files that were in the queue and were examined (processed) to see if they should be transfered.

My settings are to transfer/upload files that are newer than are on the remote site. I normally select a whole directory containing many hundreds of files (and sub-directories) then right click and upload. Out of that many hundreds of files, only a few should be and are actually transfered. The rest of the files are just checked (processed) to see if they need to be transfered (and most do not need to be transfered).

Thus, there is no way that I can find in FZ that shows only the files that were actually transfered to the remote host.

The transfering is working, etc., no problem there. But, I can't see which files FZ deemed appropriate to transfer.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just a "feature" of FZ?

I propose that the currently labeled "successful transfers" be re-labeled as "processed" and that an additional list be created that only lists those files that have been actually transfered to the other host.

Thanks.

Jay

boco
Contributor

Re: How to see ACTUALLY transfered vs "successful transfers"

#2 Post by boco » 2011-06-24 13:09

Skipped files are included in the Successful transfers list. That's intended.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jayzilla

#3 Post by jayzilla » 2011-07-04 17:35

What is the logic behind including the skipped files in the transferred files list?

I understand that it is "intended", but why?

It would be much more useful to me to see what is actually being transferred vs what is being skipped in two separate lists. As it is now, I have no way to really see if unexpected files are transferring or if expected files are not transferring. My typical queue contains 1500- 2000 files (in a deep and broad directory structure), only 5-50 of which are actually expected to transfer. Under the current method of display/logging, I can't realistically "audit" to see if things happened as expected -- it all happens too quickly to follow along as it happens and there is no "clean" way to see just a list of the transferred files.

Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2011-07-04 22:11

Condition 1: Count of files before transfer equals sum of successful and fail tabs
Condition 2: If there has been not actual transfer error, file must not be put into error tab.

jayzilla

#5 Post by jayzilla » 2011-07-05 14:44

botg,

I did not mean that kind of logic. I mean "the reason why".

I believe that there should be an additional tab -- "skipped files".

Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2011-07-05 19:44

Having yet another tab would majorly confuse less-experienced users.

jayzilla

#7 Post by jayzilla » 2011-07-05 19:52

Botg,

Thank you for your reply.

I disagree. I don't know what could more confusing than the current situation with a tab that says "transferred" when they are *not* all actually transferred. And there being no obvious way (if any way, without parsing out the log file with a script) of seeing what was actually transferred vs what was skipped.

I agree that one always wants to minimize the number of visual components in a GUI, but when various different functions are combined into single functions, it gets more confusing, not less confusing.

Thanks.

ScottMSanders
550 Permission denied
First name: Scott
Last name: Sanders

#8 Post by ScottMSanders » 2011-07-07 18:50

I'm with jayzilla on this one.

jayzilla

#9 Post by jayzilla » 2011-07-07 19:48

Thanks, ScottMSanders... Unfortunately, I suspect we don't get to vote. :D

To follow up, however, just today I needed to check to see if a file had transferred or not because I was not sure when the file had been update vs when the last transfer had been done. Filezilla was still up so I could still see the "successful" tab. There was nothing in the listings that distinguished between skipped and actually transferred. So there does not even seem to (currently) be the possibility to parse out which is which. (I mistakenly earlier said that the differences could be parsed out if you really needed to.)

Just so I don't give the impression that I complain about everything, Filezilla is absolutely wonderful in all other respects that I have used it. And it is three times as fast as the program I used to use.

millerdq
500 Command not understood
First name: Dennis Q
Last name: Miller

#10 Post by millerdq » 2019-06-28 16:23

This is a much-needed feature: a way to distinguish successful transfers from skipped transfers. It could be as simple as using a different color or status column in the transfer log or, better, a new tab for skipped files. I agree with those who argue skipped transfers should not be included in the failed transfers log, but the same argument extends to the successful transfers column.

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2019-06-28 23:43

@botg: Couldn't you use Italic style for files that were skipped due to overwrite rules? Is that possible, assigning styles on the fly when building queue tab's contents?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org