Remove clients "local" pane, add vertical directory tree

Moderator: Project members

tateu
450 Internal Error

Re: Remove clients "local" pane, add vertical directory tree

#16 Post by tateu » 2011-09-06 06:03

botg wrote:The source code is there. Please provide a patch.
I have been using my own modified version (on Windows) to do this for years and could provide my changes.

You previously said that some stuff needed to be disabled:
botg wrote:Some entries in the context menus, half of the toolbar, lots of stuff in the main menu, drag&drop from remote panes to queue and so on.
I do not see anything in the toolbar or main menu that needs to be disabled (there are no options to transfer files there). I have disabled context menu Download/Add to Queue and drag and drop to the transfer queue. The only problem I have found so far is with symlinks to files. A symlink to a file appears in the directory listing like a folder, so you can double click on it to enter the directory. If the symlink is a file, the enter directory command fails and a file download is initiated.

I have never used or compiled the linux/mac versions so I do not know how my changes will work over there.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#17 Post by botg » 2011-09-06 06:09

What for example about the directory comparison and synchronized browsing buttons in the toolbar?

What about bookmarks that just change the local directory?

tateu
450 Internal Error

#18 Post by tateu » 2011-09-06 06:28

botg wrote:What for example about the directory comparison and synchronized browsing buttons in the toolbar?

What about bookmarks that just change the local directory?
Stuff I have never used and will most likely never use, so I didn't know it was there. I guess I won't provide my changes then.

botg
Site Admin

#19 Post by botg » 2011-09-06 19:54

Unfortunately these things need to be dealt with if disabling the local panes.

tateu
450 Internal Error

#20 Post by tateu » 2011-09-07 01:22

Adds a menu and toolbar item to hide the local view pane.

When the local view is hidden:
1) Disables Drag & Drop to the Transfer Queue.
2) Disables context menu items: Download and "Add files to queue"
3a) Disables toolbar and menu items for: "Toggle directory comparison" and "Toggle synchronized browsing"
3b) If the above items are active when the user hides the local view, they are turned off automatically
4) Does not allow Bookmark or Site Manager entries to change the local directory
5) Does not allow the user to download file symlinks by double clicking on them
Attachments
filezilla-3.5.1_Option_Hide_Local_View01a.diff.txt
Patch for FileZilla Client v3.5.1 to hide the local view (tested on Windows only)
(20.86 KiB) Downloaded 619 times

tateu
450 Internal Error

#21 Post by tateu » 2011-09-07 02:36

I found a bug with the changes made to commandqueue.cpp, which were supposed to keep a user from being able to download a symlink file by doubleclicking on it when the local view is hidden. It also mistakenly keeps the user from being able to download a symlinked file with drag and drop to Windows Explorer (and puts FileZilla in and endless loop).

Elevory
500 Command not understood
First name: Robin
Last name: Epple

#22 Post by Elevory » 2011-09-07 18:51

botg wrote:The source code is there. Please provide a patch.
Sorry, but I'd rather find another FTP client. Programming is not my forte, and I don't have the time or patience to study Filezilla's innards when I could just as well switch to another product. Perhaps one with a developer that isn't intent on neglecting community-requested features because they're "too tedious".

It's very nice that you've given the community the source code to your project, but you're still the author— no one knows Filezilla quite as well as you do, and I think it's reasonable to expect the author to implement a feature many users consider integral.
tateu wrote:Adds a menu and toolbar item to hide the local view pane.
Hooray! Thank you very much. :)

tateu
450 Internal Error

#23 Post by tateu » 2011-09-07 19:07

Elevory wrote:I think it's reasonable to expect the author to implement a feature many users consider integral.
Why is that reasonable? This is not a commercial product. Why should the author care anything about it's users?

When I release opensource software it is because it is something I programmed for myself with the features that I want and I thought someone else might find useful. I am under no obligation to implement or even care anything about what "users" want.

botg
Site Admin

#24 Post by botg » 2011-09-07 19:33

Millions of users and only a handful expressed their wishes for this particular feature.

nifty

#25 Post by nifty » 2011-09-14 18:20

I would like to request this feature as well. In terms of performance, FileZilla is great. It downloads my files faster than other commercial clients, but it seems that a lot of the features are not necessary for the average user. Number 1 is the local file pane.

If there are any eager developers out there, it seems like you could take the FileZilla code and strip it down to a bare bones program with only the remote tree, remote file window, and a transfer queue. FileZilla Lite. I would happily PayPal a fee to anyone who makes it.

Regarding the concern that "few users have requested the toggle for the removal of the local window". I surmise that it is because 1) it's a pain to register on this forum (you can't even use a gmail address!?) and 2) it's a pain to register on your bug tracker site. Also, not every person that needs an FTP client is a software developer or understands the utility of a public feedback forum such as this. The demographic of the internet has changed since Open Source was invented...

Elevory
First name: Robin
Last name: Epple

#26 Post by Elevory » 2011-09-17 18:35

When I release opensource software it is because it is something I programmed for myself with the features that I want and I thought someone else might find useful. I am under no obligation to implement or even care anything about what "users" want.
That's great. But if that's how you choose to operate your development process— only coding features for yourself and continually ignoring community input— then I would be inclined to find an alternative, more "public-friendly" program. In the case of FileZilla, that is what I am in the process of doing. To me, FileZilla is no different than a program that has been abandoned by its developers.

I mean, if that's your policy, why even bother going out of the way to provide a community forums, a feature request area, and a blanket "I'm not doing that" response to anyone that suggests something?
Millions of users and only a handful expressed their wishes for this particular feature.
Yep, that's good politics. Until the majority of users request a particular feature, their opinions should be utterly dismissed.
nifty wrote: Regarding the concern that "few users have requested the toggle for the removal of the local window". I surmise that it is because 1) it's a pain to register on this forum (you can't even use a gmail address!?) and 2) it's a pain to register on your bug tracker site. Also, not every person that needs an FTP client is a software developer or understands the utility of a public feedback forum such as this. The demographic of the internet has changed since Open Source was invented...
Not to mention a few other threads that were all met with similar developer disinterest. But who cares about that? :lol:

Pat0z
First name: Pat
Last name: Harding

#27 Post by Pat0z » 2012-02-21 05:03

I completely agree with what Elevory is saying. I have used Filezilla religiously for the last few years and have recommended it to many of my friends as the number 1 ftp in my books. The only issue I have had with it over these years is to switch the local pane with the remote pane allowing me to increase the height of the current directory pane to 100%.

I have downloaded the source files to try and make my own mod but sadly I'm only a web coder. I hardly understand any of it... but I have tried. Elevory is right, open source is not about downloading source code and modifying it to make it better for yourself its about modifying it to make it better for the community and the developers play a big role in this. I have never known Admins/mods/developers to be so rude to their users as much to say 'I couldn't be bothered, do it your self' they are always open minded and that's hay improvements are made.

Elevory PM me if you find a better alternative, Cheers!

tateu
450 Internal Error

#28 Post by tateu » 2012-03-23 21:05

Patch updated to FileZilla v3.5.3
Attachments
filezilla-3.5.3_Option_Hide_Local_View01a.diff.txt
(21.12 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

vivithemage
503 Bad sequence of commands

#29 Post by vivithemage » 2013-01-22 17:47

tateu wrote:Patch updated to FileZilla v3.5.3
How does one apply this patch? I really want to use this, I dislike having that local section there. Dragging and dropping has always worked simplest, so no need for that panel!

tateu
450 Internal Error

#30 Post by tateu » 2013-01-23 08:54

You have to download the source code, apply the patch and compile FileZilla.