421, too many connections from this IP... I'm alone !

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

Xavier
500 Command not understood
First name: Xavier
Last name: Legrand

421, too many connections from this IP... I'm alone !

#1 Post by Xavier » 2008-11-05 12:12

Hi, and... Sorry for my english, I'm French ! When I try to access to my FTP server, I reach it 1 time on 60, instead of I'm alone to use it... I'm always get the response 421. Is there any possibility to succeed each time ?
Thanks in advance...

If it can help you, I join all the datas I received :
Statut : Résolution de l'adresse pour sv33442.nfrance.com
Statut : Connexion à 80.247.229.74:21 en cours...
Statut : Connexion établie. Attente du message d'accueil...
Réponse : 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Réponse : 220-You are user number 2 of 20 allowed.
Réponse : 220-Local time is now 12:56. Server port: 21.
Réponse : 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Réponse : 220 You will be disconnected after 3 minutes of inactivity.
Commande : USER v1126
Réponse : 331 User v1126 OK. Password required
Commande : PASS ********
Réponse : 230-User v1126 has group access to: v1126
Réponse : 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Commande : SYST
Réponse : 215 UNIX Type: L8
Commande : FEAT
Réponse : 211-Extensions supported:
Réponse : EPRT
Réponse : IDLE
Réponse : MDTM
Réponse : SIZE
Réponse : REST STREAM
Réponse : MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
Réponse : MLSD
Réponse : ESTP
Réponse : PASV
Réponse : EPSV
Réponse : SPSV
Réponse : ESTA
Réponse : AUTH TLS
Réponse : PBSZ
Réponse : PROT
Réponse : 211 End.
Statut : Connecté
Statut : Récupération du contenu du répertoire...
Commande : PWD
Réponse : 257 "/" is your current location
Commande : TYPE I
Réponse : 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Commande : PORT 10,0,0,84,12,13
Réponse : 200 PORT command successful
Commande : LIST
Réponse : 150 Connecting to port 3085
Réponse : 226-ASCII
Réponse : 226-Options: -l
Réponse : 226 3 matches total
Statut : Calcul du décalage horaire du serveur...
Commande : MDTM photo1.jpg
Réponse : 213 20080918135219
Statut : Décalage fuseau horaire : Serveur : 7200 secondes, Local : 3600 secondes. Différence : -3600 secondes.
Statut : Lecture du contenu du répertoire achevée.
Commande : CWD /html
Réponse : 250 OK. Current directory is /html
Réponse : 257 "/html" is your current location
Commande : PORT 10,0,0,84,12,22
Réponse : 150 Connecting to port 3094
Réponse : 226 115 matches total
Commande : CWD /html/sepem_newsletter
Réponse : 250 OK. Current directory is /html/sepem_newsletter
Réponse : 257 "/html/sepem_newsletter" is your current location
Commande : PORT 10,0,0,84,12,23
Réponse : 150 Connecting to port 3095
Réponse : 226 12 matches total
Commande : CWD /html/sepem_newsletter/nl_visiteurscolmar_site
Réponse : 250 OK. Current directory is /html/sepem_newsletter/nl_visiteurscolmar_site
Réponse : 257 "/html/sepem_newsletter/nl_visiteurscolmar_site" is your current location
Commande : PORT 10,0,0,84,12,24
Réponse : 150 Connecting to port 3096
Réponse : 226 9 matches total
Réponse : 421 Too many connections (1) from this IP
Erreur : Connexion au serveur impossible !
Statut : Délai d'attente suite à l'échec de la tentative de connexion...
Statut : Délai d'attente suite à l'échec de la tentative de connexion...
Réponse : 421 Timeout - try typing a little faster next time
Erreur : Connexion fermée par le serveur

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 421, too many connections from this IP... I'm alone !

#2 Post by botg » 2008-11-05 18:07

Read the Network Configuration guide.

HyJaxLTD
504 Command not implemented
First name: Jayson
Last name: Messick

#3 Post by HyJaxLTD » 2008-11-27 17:45

botg wrote:Read the Network Configuration guide.
This guy is not alone, and the wiki that the Network config guide is on really is a mess to try and locate SPECIFIC answers. Also, the point of a forum is to actually DISCUSS the issues people are having. Not point them to a guide which we all knew was there from the beginning; to which I digress to my initial statement of the guide. So if you don't want to actually give advice, why bother posting something like this. This is why people stop using software apps where support is offered through a forum basis.

Here is my question regarding this error that I...and LOTS of others...receive but have not been given any real answer to.

Is the error response "Réponse : 421 Too many connections (x) from this IP" (where x is usually 2, but has varied for different users) due to an operating system value (i ask because i still get it when I take my router all the way out of the network)? Or is this simply a bug that has not been dealt with? Or is it something set at my server locale?

In my particular situation, I am told by my server admin team that they are not limiting my connections, so for me the last part of this is already answered. I really think its the new Vista settings and if someone knows where in Vista I can open more connections...AWESOME!!! But again, I am not here to be pointed to a guide that is meant to be read start to finish; as searching for specific answers is almost impossible unles you can break it down to two or three words for the search function, so please, treat this forum in the way it is intended to be treated; as a community support effort!!!

btw...i would love to give a screen shot to you to show a fruitless search but I cant seem to add a screen shot.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2008-11-27 18:40

Makes me sad that people nowadays refuse to think for themselves, you included.

HyJaxLTD

#5 Post by HyJaxLTD » 2008-11-27 19:17

botg wrote:Makes me sad that people nowadays refuse to think for themselves, you included.
You know for someone in charge of admin, you are pretty freekin rude. This is a simple question, again, I would give you a screen shot of my attempted searches thru your wiki but it seems that this forum is also lacking there!!! Before you go and tell someone(s) they are not thinking for themselves , maybe try and forget you know everything. Again, I would just like to see some forum moderators and admins do what they are supposed to be doing. Monitoring forums and providing answers when the other resources fail to provide it. (i.e. you online wiki network config guide). If you would like, give me your email and I will show you my search attempts in your wiki manual and there coresponding negative search results!!! So before you go and insult someone, maybe attempt to see it from there shoes. And btw...isn't this a 'community support effort'; which would state that we are not really here to think entirely for ourselves becuase we didn't write the code/script for filezilla ourselves. Can you explain any other definition of 'community' effort? but please lets deal with this in another area as it actually ahs nothing to do with the orignal posters question...or are you exempt from following the forum rules?

HyJaxLTD

#6 Post by HyJaxLTD » 2008-11-27 19:22

botg wrote:Makes me sad that people nowadays refuse to think for themselves, you included.
Makes me sad that people who are part of this to provide answers are too lazy to do what they agreed to do for there position on a forum...get the pic?

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2008-11-27 19:42

I'm not rude, I'm just bored answering the same questions over and over again. And I am not getting for this. Besides, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

HyJaxLTD

#8 Post by HyJaxLTD » 2008-11-27 20:11

botg wrote:I'm not rude, I'm just bored answering the same questions over and over again. And I am not getting for this. Besides, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
So maybe the answer to this should actually be posted in a sticky since you are always dealing with it or something and you wont have to deal with it, huh? Or perhaps you are just tired of being admin?

Either way, you know how to fix it...instead you come on insult me, and through your post the original topic poster, then come back with another link that DOES NOT answer the question posted in THIS forum.

I will go and read the "how to post a question" just so I can put it to you with kid gloves and the way you want it asked, sorry for thinking for myself in a way to ask it since nowhere is it actually answered. But I have done the 'before you ask' and have not found an ACTUAL answer...only degrading remarks and links pointing to a manual that DOES NOT provide the answer. If I am wrong here, I am sorry for wasting your time with such a "stupid" question, but if I responded the way you have you would have barred me from the forum completly. Also, please just post the spot that this is actually answered here in the forum, since I seem to be doing this all wrong.

I have found a spot that answers how to get rid of this error but not how I can utilize FileZilla with multiple connections. I have a BIG PHAT 50Mbps connection and a powerhouse PC. Also, my server is not limiting my connections. So in this aspect, I really have not found the answer to this question (at least in a manner that would pertain to the support I am actually trying to get posted up here). That's why I think it probably is a Vista setting, being all other factors (host server, filezilla client, bandwidth) are not set to limit the number of connections. If it will help you answer the question, even if its a link to the actual answer, or at least a resource with the answer contained within, then PM me with the subject "here you lazy peice of @#$@!" and I wil post it. That way you wont have to answer this question any more. I will give it its own thread name, translate it into lamens terms for the average user, and admit what a fool I was for bothering you over the forum.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2008-11-27 22:06

Hi, I'm almost sure I have added this to the Wiki Using guide.

Can't add it to the FAQs because I've no permissions. Here's the link: http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Using ... ed_servers
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#10 Post by botg » 2008-11-28 00:36

Please contact the server administrator so that he can fix the server. A properly configured server can easily handle thousands of simultaneous connections.

HyJaxLTD

#11 Post by HyJaxLTD » 2008-11-28 00:53

botg wrote:Please contact the server administrator so that he can fix the server. A properly configured server can easily handle thousands of simultaneous connections.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. I know admin can be a b#$@h of a job. Oh yeah, thank you for answering my question.

calgarymortgage
500 Command not understood
First name: Randy
Last name: McGuire

Finally solved!

#12 Post by calgarymortgage » 2011-12-11 22:09

I used filezilla for years without a problem, but a few updates ago the "too many connections" problem popped up and I've been searching for a solution ever since. In the meantime, I've been using my old friend wp_ftp95 with no problems other than the fact that it is a VERY basic program.

After reading over a tonne of the posts in this forum, I came to the conclusion that the developers of FZ are convinced that there is no problem with the software and that any problem is the result of an improperly configured server, stupid users or lazy users. They may be right, but at the end of the day I have work to do, so here's a quick (and free) 2 step solution I found.

1) uninstall filezilla
2) install coreFTP

Hope this helps others. Cheers.

boco
Contributor

#13 Post by boco » 2011-12-12 00:21

Uh, congratulations. In case you mean the LE edition, you just managed to limit you to one server and one connection per server. If you had followed the guide I posted above you'd have the same effect in FileZilla (which also works arount the problem).

The Too many connections problem is not easy to understand for the normal user, here my attempt to explain:
-A connection is not as simple as it sounds, there are always (with FTP at least) two endpoints. So you need to know the error the server shows does NOT concern the connections at your side, but at the server's.
-A fully established connection is called ''open'' and you can transfer data over it. A not yet established or broken connection may be ''half-open'', means it exists at one endpoint but not the other. The arbitrary server limitation takes both the open and half-open connections into account.
-As far as connection closure concerns, the normal TCP procedure is for both endpoints/peers to notify each other and wait for a response from the peer. Then both peers close the connection. Exactly here is the weak point.
Most people imagine such a connection as a straight line. However, nowadays the endpoints are very rarely directly connected. There are firewalls and routers in between forwarding and intercepting the connection.
-What you and others in this topic experience is that the connection closure notification (or the response to it) gets lost. Or a firewall closes the connection itself without notifying the enpoints properly. In both cases this causes the connection to stay half-open at either side.
If that happens at the client's (FileZilla) side, users experiencing a connection timeout after a file reaches 100% (or 99% because of buffering).
But the user doesn't notice if that problem is at the server side; FileZilla won't display any error because all is fine client-wise. However, that half-open connection at the server side still exists and counts against your limit! Note that it will timeout after some time, but if you manage to accumulate enough stalled server-side connections to saturate your limit, you're effectively locked out. Every new connection attempt will give that confusing error.

So why FileZilla triggers that problem more often than other clients? Answer: speed. FileZilla is greatly optimized for speed. So it's much easier to reach the critical amount of stalled connections. And the faster an application transfers data over the network, the faster routers and firewalls have to work. Some will simply give up at some point and start to produce errors. FileZilla already managed to lock up quite a few routers already.

So what should the developer (Singular!) do? Making it slower? You can already do that yourself with limiting speed.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org