Feature Request: Remote File Editing: Auto Upload on Save

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

doublethink
500 Command not understood
First name: dee
Last name: tee

Feature Request: Remote File Editing: Auto Upload on Save

#1 Post by doublethink » 2008-01-14 21:05

Hi there!

I'd like to present my use case and request a feature - auto uploading on edit.

I often do a lot of work directly on remote sites via FTP. For example, a client has a development environment that I work on via FTP to do my daily work.

Over the course of a day I can be working on dozens of files in various directories within the remote file tree.

Presently, I use dreamweaver 8 which has great FTP/Remote File synchronisation, but is unstable and leaks memory.

What I'm after is a way to use FileZilla to work in this manner - browse the remote directory tree with FileZilla, pick and choose files to edit using my local text editor, then when I save the file locally using the text editor, FileZilla picks up that save and automatically uploads the changed file to the server (if I so configure FZ to do that) in the correct folder.

thoughts?

I used to use Unison: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ to handle easy sync'ing, but webhosts are often very restrictive about what they allow (ssh tunnel for example).

edit: I see someone else wants the same thing:
What would be doubly cool is if the 'File has changed' dialogue could have a 'always use this answer' option much like the overwrite files dialogue. That way, changes saved through the edit remote file facility would automatically push back to the server without needing to switch the the client window and ok the dialogue each time.
(http://forum.filezilla-project.org/view ... 461#p16461)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Feature Request: Remote File Editing: Auto Upload on Save

#2 Post by botg » 2008-01-14 22:26

Unfortunately there is no way to detect when a program has finished writing to the file. Fully automatic upload on changes would lead to potential data corruption, especially on non-Windows systems.

doublethink
500 Command not understood
First name: dee
Last name: tee

#3 Post by doublethink » 2008-01-17 04:13

botg wrote:Unfortunately there is no way to detect when a program has finished writing to the file. Fully automatic upload on changes would lead to potential data corruption, especially on non-Windows systems.
Ah, that's a real shame. I guess I need to fine a decent editor/ide that handles my requirements - quick and easy remote file editing/tree browsing.

Dreamweaver8 does it so well, but I'm keen to find an open source alternative (that doesn't lock me into windows).

Perhaps eclipse/pdt, but when I read about their FTP plugin it sounded a little cumbersome.

Oh well, thanks!

jesus2099
500 Syntax error

#4 Post by jesus2099 » 2008-01-17 15:38

smartFTP can do it too.
(I'm not saying I don't like filezilla!)

jesus2099
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by jesus2099 » 2008-10-16 07:57

It has now been possible for a long time, thank you very much.
It would be nice that, in this file monitoring mode, the files would be auto-uploaded when changed instead of displaying a confirmation box — it could be configurable if there are people whishing to keep this dialog.

Stefan1200
425 Can't open data connection

#6 Post by Stefan1200 » 2008-10-17 16:14

doublethink wrote:quick and easy remote file editing/tree browsing.

Dreamweaver8 does it so well, but I'm keen to find an open source alternative (that doesn't lock me into windows).
Notepad++ can this with the FTP plugin. But I still use FileZilla for this.

Edit: Sorry, I saw the dates to late. It still shows anything as new here :).
<removed advertisement>

Jeroi
500 Syntax error

Re: Feature Request: Remote File Editing: Auto Upload on Sav

#7 Post by Jeroi » 2012-05-02 13:58

Well windows have features to check that if file is open. If you would add a backproses that include mouse right klick on windows explorer to select folder, where filezilla would do SVN style checking if ftp site has newer or folder file is newer. Always check that local file is not open. Then check in couble hours if the file is closed and then upload it.

I have always taught that why is not svn style file handling made available for ftp traffic. It would be so nice to have this for ftp also.

boco
Contributor

Re: Feature Request: Remote File Editing: Auto Upload on Sav

#8 Post by boco » 2012-05-03 01:11

There are editors writing a file in chunks, closing it in between. Your check would simply fail.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org