Small file upload failures

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

PaulR
500 Command not understood
First name: paul
Last name: robinson

Small file upload failures

#1 Post by PaulR » 2010-03-12 11:56

Hi, I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this?

I have a Freesco (linux) private FTP server (i.e. direct dial-in connections only, not connected to the internet) that has been running for many years with no problems. Remote sites can dial in and tranfer files either way using the Filezilla client on various Windows platforms. The machine uses pureftp server.

I'm now trying to dial in using an IBM Thinkpad running Ubuntu 9.1. I've finally got the connection and modem issues sorted out and I can connect and download files (the modem speed is a hideously slow 14400 but I can live with that as the files are mostly 50-500kB in size).

The problem is I can't successfully upload files. For example I've just been trying to upload a 40K file. As soon as the transfer starts the progress bar shoots up to 100% then a little while later I get a timeout message followed by the expected 'do you want to overwrite...' dialog. On each occasion exactly the same amount of data has transferred e.g. the file is 40K but only 36K transfers each time and it never completes.

I've read the help pages about timeouts but that doesn't seem to be the problem - can anyone suggest anything?

TIA

Paul

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Small file upload failures

#2 Post by botg » 2010-03-12 19:43

Try increasing the timeout value in the settings. Also, on such glacial connections, you might want to decrease buffer sizes. Edit filezilla.xml and change the Socket send/recv buffer size (v2) options to a smaller value, perhaps 4096 or so.

Note that this will negatively impact performance should you later switch to a faster connection again, so do not forget to reset that option then.

PaulR
500 Command not understood
First name: paul
Last name: robinson

Re: Small file upload failures

#3 Post by PaulR » 2010-03-12 19:54

Many thanks for the suggestions I'll try that asap (let's hope that the glacier completes it's journey at least ;) )

Paul