File Transfer Successful, 0 Bytes

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

msuesser
500 Command not understood
First name: Marc
Last name: Suesser

File Transfer Successful, 0 Bytes

#1 Post by msuesser » 2011-02-27 21:15

When uploading any file to my server, I find that the file I am uploading is uploaded "successfully," but all of its data is erased, resulting in a file with 0 bytes. FileZilla used to work just fine up until about a few months ago when this began happening. I never really bothered to fix it, but this occurs every single time I try uploading a file, regardless of how good my internet connection is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :wink:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: File Transfer Successful, 0 Bytes

#2 Post by botg » 2011-02-27 21:41

Most likely cause is some router and/or firewall interfering with the connection.

Try uninstalling all firewalls and plugging your computer directly into your modem, thus bypassing any NAT routers. Does that make any difference?

msuesser

#3 Post by msuesser » 2011-02-27 21:49

botg wrote:Most likely cause is some router and/or firewall interfering with the connection.

Try uninstalling all firewalls and plugging your computer directly into your modem, thus bypassing any NAT routers. Does that make any difference?
Though I'm willing to cooperate with whatever you suggest, I feel like uninstalling the firewall is a bit drastic, so I just turned it off for a few minutes and tried again. No luck. :?

I was tempted to put my computer on DMZ with my router for a second, but I'm connected to many things at the moment and I'm a bit iffy on that. Could this be solved with port forwarding? If so, what port would I need to forward for FileZilla's operations to be allowed?

P.S. I'm leaving for a little bit so I won't be responding until about 3 hours from now. Sorry about the delay! ^^

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2011-02-28 00:17

Check that you haven't exceeded a storage quota on that server.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

msuesser

#5 Post by msuesser » 2011-02-28 00:58

boco wrote:Check that you haven't exceeded a storage quota on that server.
Others are able to upload and manage files on the server with no problems. This happens on every server I try connecting to, as I have many servers I need to manage (mainly others' servers for installation of certain things). This is why I'm certain it has something to do with FileZilla or my router blocking its permissions.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2011-02-28 07:04

Software just does not stop working on its own. Something must have changed, figure out what changed and the solution should then become obvious.

coRpSE
500 Syntax error
First name: Derek

#7 Post by coRpSE » 2011-03-03 00:11

I just recently built a new PC and upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 64 bit. Windows XP was what was on my old PC and this new one is 7. Same firewall and same Anti virus I been using for years. I have noticed that this is happening to me, but it only does it when overwriting files only. When uploading a fresh file, it uploads with no issues. I have tried disabling the firewall and disabled the antivirus with no luck.

I have a feeling that its something to deal with a conflict between the Windows 7 and Filezilla, or me using a 64 bit version of windows considering I only see 32 bit versions of this program. (Not sure if that makes a difference).

coRpSE
500 Syntax error
First name: Derek

#8 Post by coRpSE » 2011-03-07 14:57

Okay, I tested this with firewalls off, checked my router. I also ever tested this with 2 other FTP programs and it has to come down to Filezilla.

I am running Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT Operating System with all the latest drivers. This PC is a new build that I did. I also have CA Antivirus and Firewall which both have been turned off to see if it was that. I just started having issues uploading even fresh files, not files over written like I said in my post above.

I am able to transfer things from my FTP to my desktop with no issues, but when I transfer from my desktop to my site it uploads successfully and then says 0 bits. My site that I am uploading is unlimited in size and this is happening on all servers I work on.

martinglover
First name: Martin
Last name: Glover

#9 Post by martinglover » 2011-05-28 18:53

Hi there, this is affecting me since I got my new laptop and am hoping someone can provide a suggestion for a fix for this. I have got a new machine which is the following spec:

Windows 7 64bit Professional
Core i3 2.5Ghz
6Gb DDR3
Filezilla version 3.4.0
Build date of filezilla 2011-03-07

I cannot upload files on the above spec. When I try, my files get placed on there are 0 bytes. I have tried uploading with:
Direct connection to the internet - no firewall at all.
Via hardware firewall only
Via software firewall only
Amending transfer type from ASCII to Binary and vice versa
Slowing down transfer speed.
Connected via cable on LAN and also tried via Wireless. Both failed to successfully transfer.

All methods above failed to resolve the 0bytes issue.

Uploading the files for my site http://www.pcprobs.info via the below machine spec worked fine.

Windows XP 64bit Professional
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz
1Gb RAM

Any help would be appreciated as Im running out of ideas now (having to VNC onto my other machine to do FTP uploading is becoming a real pain now so would love to get this sorted!!).

Hopefully someone could shine some light on it somewhere!!!???

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2011-05-28 19:47

As a first workaround, couldn't you use the Windows XP mode feature for FTPing? Your hardware is sufficient and as Win7Pro user, you are eligible for a free Windows XP Pro (via XP Mode) license. You wouldn't need VNC or a second machine, at least...

martinglover
First name: Martin
Last name: Glover

#11 Post by martinglover » 2011-05-29 07:58

Good call. I can give that a whirl. I would like to get to the bottom so my new machine can ftp though, but that is deffo one to try for starters. :D

DennisAD

#12 Post by DennisAD » 2011-07-05 08:03

Hi all,

I seem to have the same issue with a Win7 64 bit. The only thing that works is to set the speed at 1 KiB/s. Has someone found a solution for this?

msuesser

#13 Post by msuesser » 2011-07-27 06:30

Bump...

boco
Contributor

#14 Post by boco » 2011-07-27 08:52

Though I'm willing to cooperate with whatever you suggest, I feel like uninstalling the firewall is a bit drastic, so I just turned it off for a few minutes and tried again. No luck. :?
Firewalls MUST be uninstalled to truly disable their deeply buried drivers and system hooks. Merely disabling them doesn't prove anything.
Could this be solved with port forwarding? If so, what port would I need to forward for FileZilla's operations to be allowed?
Nope,
1. Port forwarding is for incoming connections only (e. g. data ports in Active mode),
2. port forwarding is for piercing holes through NAT. If you were in need of port forwarding, transfers wouldn't work at all and fail with an error message (425 or 426).

The problem you're facing does not occur in FileZilla, but somewhere beyond it (either in the server itself or somewhere in between). The transfer completes and FileZilla gets the correct message (either by the server, or, in your case, probably by the firewall) to close the connection. In other words: FileZilla tells ''Successful'' because it doesn't know any better.

-Do you know if the server in question does support TLS encryption? Encrypted FTP cannot be modified by firewalls.
-Did you check for a space quote? As the server does not know the size of the uploaded file until the transfer is complete, quotas are enforced either
a) after transfer completion, or
b) mid-transfer.
The filename is created as soon as the transfer starts and may be left behind.