Connection that used to work no longer does

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

bibsy
500 Command not understood
First name: Barbara
Last name: Barnett-Stewart

Connection that used to work no longer does

#1 Post by bibsy » 2011-10-27 21:37

I don't know if anyone here can help me, but I figure it's worth a shot since my ISP insists the problem is with the web server and the web server host insists the problem is with my ISP, leaving me stuck without a solution.

I had been using FileZilla to connect to my college's web server to upload files for a grad class I'm taking (most of our projects include creating web pages). I started doing this in early September and everything was working just fine until a little over a week ago when I suddenly started getting the following message whenever I tried to connect:

Response: fzSftp started
Command: open "bab253@eden.rutgers.edu" 22
Error: Server unexpectedly closed network connection
Error: Could not connect to server

I hadn't made any changes to my computers, my home network, my password, or my connection settings. I tried connecting from two different computers, both my desktop (iMac running OSX 10.6) and my laptop (Macbook Air running OSX 10.7), and got the same exact errors on each. I tried using the program Fugu instead of FileZilla and received the message "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host." I tried connecting through Mac Terminal; trying "sftp eden.rutgers.edu" returned the message "sh: connect to host eden.rutgers.edu port 22: Connection refused" and "ftp eden.rutgers.edu" returned the message "RU DNS Rejection, proftpd UNKNOWN from address 71.188.59.2". I read through Filezilla's FAQ and forums and Network Configuration guide and ran the Network Configuration Wizard and couldn't find anything that solved the issue. I tried resetting my router (Verizon MI424WR), but that didn't change anything either.

I had contacted my college's tech support soon after I first encountered the problem to see if there was a problem on their end. While I was waiting for them to get back to me, I went through all the steps I listed above. Then I took my laptop to a local coffee shop. I was able to connect to my college's server just fine using the coffee shop's wireless network, which made me suspect that the problem was with my home network.

Running Filezilla's firewall and router configuration wizard test at home with the setup that had previously been working (and that worked just fine using another wireless network) returns the following:

Connecting to probe.filezilla-project.org
Response: 220 FZ router and firewall tester ready
USER FileZilla
Response: 331 Give any password.
PASS 3.5.1
Response: 230 logged on.
Checking for correct external IP address
IP 192.168.1.3 bjc-bgi-b-d
Response: 510 Mismatch. Your IP is 71.188.59.2, hb-bii-fj-c
Wrong external IP address
Connection closed

Same thing if I try active mode instead of passive mode. When I try specifying the external IP address as 71.188.59.2 or selecting "get the external IP address from http://ip.filezilla-project.org/ip.php", I get this:

Connecting to probe.filezilla-project.org
Response: 220 FZ router and firewall tester ready
USER FileZilla
Response: 331 Give any password.
PASS 3.5.1
Response: 230 logged on.
Checking for correct external IP address
IP 71.188.59.2 hb-bii-fj-c
Response: 200 OK
PREP 51057
Response: 200 Using port 51057, data token 1655833391
PORT 71,188,59,2,199,113
Response: 200 PORT command successful
LIST
Response: 150 opening data connection
Response: 503 Failure of data connection.
Server sent unexpected reply.
Connection closed

I called Verizon FIOS support. The representative insisted the problem was with the web server I was trying to connect to. I repeatedly asked her, "If the problem is with the web server, then why can I connect to it just fine from other networks but not from my home network?" She never gave me a direct answer and just kept talking in circles until we came back to the same exact exchange. She continually cut me off when I would try to explain error messages I was receiving, and she insisted that since my email and my ability to access websites was working just fine, then it wasn't Verizon's problem. I finally asked to be transferred to someone else, except instead of transferring me to a supervisor or another tech support person, she transferred me to their "expert care" premium support department without bothering to tell me that it was a paid service. That was a bit infuriating, hence why I'm not inclined to call them again for help with this unless I absolutely have to.

A couple days after that call, my college's tech support finally got back to me and said the problem is on Verizon's end. They said that my external IP address (71.188.59.2) turns up a "Host not found" error and is not properly configured to basic Internet Standards, making my options: 1) get my ISP to properly configure the connection so that it passes a Forward/Reverse DNS Look Up, 2) use a different ISP that does configure their host properly, or 3) set up a VPN connection to Rutgers. I was able to set up a VPN connection that enables me to access the web server, so at least I have a work around. But I still think there must be a way for my original set up to work since it did work for so long. It may be that I have to bite the bullet and contact Verizon again, but if anyone is able to offer up another solution, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Connection that used to work no longer does

#2 Post by botg » 2011-10-28 06:06

They said that my external IP address (71.188.59.2) turns up a "Host not found" error and is not properly configured to basic Internet Standards, making my options: 1) get my ISP to properly configure the connection so that it passes a Forward/Reverse DNS Look Up, 2) use a different ISP that does configure their host properly, or 3) set up a VPN connection to Rutgers.
Exactly that.

You should talk to an actual network operator of your ISP, don't bother calling normal support. Call-center workers are clueless.

grumpy
500 Command not understood

Re: Connection that used to work no longer does

#3 Post by grumpy » 2011-10-28 10:53

I had the same problem, was driving me insane, NOW SOLVED!!

To fix:
Open site manager, and under 'host' put in your web address (www.example.com) instead of an IP address!

Hope this helps!