FTP folder error

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

play4life
500 Command not understood

FTP folder error

#1 Post by play4life » 2006-10-26 05:09

Hi,

I'm using filezilla server FileZilla_Server-0_9_19.exe
Can you some give me a hint how to setup a directory/folder on 2003 server which allow me connect ftp remotely from the web browser IE.

problem is when i typed my ftp ip address and it prompted me un and pw,
which i put them in and it connected.

However then at the bottom left corner of IE saying "getting contents of folder" and wait about for 30 secs, then it prompts the msg with header
FTP Folder Error "An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder. Detail: The connection with the server was reset".

But if i tested with DOS window from remotely, i can access and view the list of files in that folder without any problem.

Also if i ftp from my server 2003 thru IE by using local IP, i can access to the folder without any problem.

So, i start thinking that why it works with FTP in DOS but not in IE of 2003 server. I also create another FTP server on win XP SP2 (exactly same default setting as 2003 server) and FTP remotely, working fine, i can see the directory.

Can some body give a hint how to solve it.
Thanks in advance

timmyp3
500 Command not understood

My Solution(s)

#2 Post by timmyp3 » 2006-10-26 19:07

I banged my head against a wall with this problem for a while as well. I did two things to solve my problem (and I would try them in this order, as the first solution has zero-to-no security impact, while the same can't be said for the second solution.) That being said, here-goes:

1. In Internet Explorer, try removing the default of "Use Passive FTP". Google is your friend for your specific MS OS & IE version, but this should point you in the right direction.

2. Using Explorer (*not* IE), on the folder(s) that you have specified under "Shared Folders" in FileZilla (in either "Users" or "Groups"), I found that you need to give "NETWORK SERVICE" the appropriate READ/WRITE/ETC. permissions. You can do this by right-clicking on the correct folder, selecting "Properties" > "Security" tab. It should be pretty self-explanatory from there. I'd be careful here to not give more permissions than are needed. (ie. If you've only assigned "Read" privileges to a folder through FileZilla, I wouldn't give "NETWORK SERVICE" "Full Control" on the same folder. Think: "using 'least-privileged' strategies"...)

All of the above being said, this may have already been covered in greater detail/more efficiently/more "correctly" somewhere else, in other posts, help files, etc. I'll be honest, I didn't check - I like to figure stuff out on my own.
Also, if someone knows something I don't and sees some flaw in what I've done, *please*, point it out for both of our sakes. Thanks.