550 The supplied message is incomplete

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

twilkerson01
500 Command not understood
First name: Tiffany
Last name: Wilkerson

550 The supplied message is incomplete

#1 Post by twilkerson01 » 2014-10-16 13:25

For over a week, I have been trying to upload .zip files to my site via Filezilla. I've been using Filezilla since February with no issues and now suddenly what happens is that it gets all the way to 100% and then fails with the message "550 The supplied message is incomplete. The signature was not verified." Any ideas what's going on? I tried installing Filezilla on another computer to upload, thinking maybe it had something to do with my Mac, but I am still having the issue on my PC. Help please....

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: 550 The supplied message is incomplete

#2 Post by botg » 2014-10-17 08:58

See viewtopic.php?p=111645#p111645

Later in that topic somebody mentioned that Microsoft has released a fix for this issue.

twilkerson01

#3 Post by twilkerson01 » 2014-10-18 15:56

I have combed through that thread and don't see a solution. I have been using Filezilla since February 2014 and it just now started failing on me. I don't understand what's different, unless it is one of the updates that it has prompted me to download when I open it?

I am not that technically savvy when it comes to this, so if someone could let me know in layman's terms what I need to do, I would be so appreciative.
Thank you,
Tiffany

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2014-10-19 03:47

The fix is required for their MS IIS FTP server. You need to ask your hosting company to patch it.
The reason it worked previously is that older FileZilla versions supported weaker encryption that required no server fix. Security has been tightened since.

Link to the server fix is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2888853.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

twilkerson01

#5 Post by twilkerson01 » 2014-10-19 13:46

You are awesome, thank you!

However, I have 3Dcart and they seem to keep buying time by not answering my questions directly and posting a generic response to my support ticket every time. I have had a support ticket going on with them for over two weeks now and still this issue has not been resolved. I am about to just dump them altogether and switch to another host.

kingletit
First name: David
Last name: Stocks

#6 Post by kingletit » 2015-02-07 18:03

Like many users, I have started having this problem. Also, like many users, I don't have any control over the remote server I'm contracted to use, nor, in fact, do I know much about the ins and outs of IIS and FTP, etc. I shouldn't need to. That's what I thought Filezilla was for - to turn a complex technical job into one that can be used by "ordinary" people.

It's all very well saying that there is an IIS patch, but I have no way to MAKE the web hosting company install it. In the meantime, I'll either have to find an alternative to FileZilla, or else find an alternative Hosting company that HAS installed the patch - and how many sales people out there will actually KNOW about that. (What is the patch called anyway?)

This is purely because FileZilla has been changed in such a way as to now be of no use to me any more. It's going to cost me time and money to fix this as I still have many months left on my contract. It's all so unnecessary. I used to love FileZilla. I think it's a great tool. It just doesn't work now where it did before.

I'm all in favour of web security, but this change is causing users problems! Why can't FileZilla be configured to let people use the weaker encryption, if they choose to?

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2015-02-11 19:35

That's what I thought Filezilla was for - to turn a complex technical job into one that can be used by "ordinary" people.
Actually the target audience for FileZilla is the advanced user, not the casual one. Alas, as being Open Source, everyone can use it, nonetheless.
It's all very well saying that there is an IIS patch, but I have no way to MAKE the web hosting company install it. In the meantime, I'll either have to find an alternative to FileZilla, or else find an alternative Hosting company that HAS installed the patch - and how many sales people out there will actually KNOW about that.
If they care about their users, they will install it ASAP. If they don't, well, vote with your wallet.
This is purely because FileZilla has been changed in such a way as to now be of no use to me any more. It's going to cost me time and money to fix this as I still have many months left on my contract. It's all so unnecessary. I used to love FileZilla. I think it's a great tool. It just doesn't work now where it did before.
Security has been tightened by default, that reveales many broken servers.
I'm all in favour of web security, but this change is causing users problems! Why can't FileZilla be configured to let people use the weaker encryption, if they choose to?
Actually it can. Nothing prevents you from setting Encryption back to Plain FTP for your server, if you are willing to sacrifice the security. Works for the Site Manager entries only.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

MatureGamersNetwork

#8 Post by MatureGamersNetwork » 2015-02-18 06:21

boco wrote:
It's all very well saying that there is an IIS patch, but I have no way to MAKE the web hosting company install it. In the meantime, I'll either have to find an alternative to FileZilla, or else find an alternative Hosting company that HAS installed the patch - and how many sales people out there will actually KNOW about that.
If they care about their users, they will install it ASAP. If they don't, well, vote with your wallet.
Security has been tightened by default, that reveales many broken servers.
Actually it can. Nothing prevents you from setting Encryption back to Plain FTP for your server, if you are willing to sacrifice the security. Works for the Site Manager entries only.
Basically you are saying to find a new hosting provider over a FTP program?

There is many issues with this, and I am sure this will cause a massive drop in FZ users... Not only that, add in the SourceForge 3rd Party Program garbage...

Your last quote pertains to persons who HAVE access to this, most webhosts that provide cheap and affordable hosting do not provide more than FTP and a few fancy buttons to press on their site. Most FTP client users, aren't business owners or someone who can afford their own box.

Finding a new host is very time consuming, not only that but also means transferring EVERYTHING you have on your site...

Yes security is one thing, but basically forcing your users to contact a host, waste their own time to get a fix (IF it happens) doesn't seem logical.

Seeing as GoDaddy as well as some other providers have not fixed this, I will more than likely to either revert to an older version of Fz, or use a new FTP client... It is not worth my time to contact 20+ hosts over a security issue that does not pertain to me uploading webfiles to my client's servers.

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2015-02-18 20:48

You are not forced to do anything. I just wanted to mention there are hosters that care for their users, not just money. The Plain FTP switch is a simple option inside the FileZilla Site Manager, btw. (Encryption setting).

Some GoDaddy users reported they can connect using SFTP. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

MatureGamersNetwork

#10 Post by MatureGamersNetwork » 2015-02-19 16:03

Oh, I thought it was server side. My mistake.

gregnk

#11 Post by gregnk » 2015-02-19 17:17

SFTP also works on Bluehost but I think you need SSH enabled.