Beware! FileZilla homepage now uses Sourceforge link!

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

Suraky
500 Command not understood
First name: Ken
Last name: Lord

Beware! FileZilla homepage now uses Sourceforge link!

#1 Post by Suraky » 2015-06-29 23:53

For years we've complained that Sourceforge has been installing crapware along with FileZilla ... whether or not we try to decline it.... And despite countless denials from the FileZilla devs.

The solution has been to go to FileZilla's homepage and download the installer from there, avoiding sourceforge.

Well that appears to be no more. The homepage download links now point to Sourceforge, and are now installing browser hijacking crapware, whether or not you decline it. I'm trying to help a coworker out of the mess caused by this now.

It appears we can no longer get a clean installer for FileZilla, and that the FileZilla devs must be in on it since they chose to change their links to point to sourceforge.

The FileZilla project is as good as dead now, nothing but a brutal trap.

Find something else.

boco
Contributor

Re: Beware! FileZilla homepage now uses Sourceforge link!

#2 Post by boco » 2015-06-30 03:29

Well, the links point to SF for a very long time now (must be more than a year). By using the Additional Downloads link at the bottom you will get a clean installer (I've just done it now) although you cannot avoid SF.

I will say it again: With Javascript forbidden for SF and their co-domains, they cannot insert the adware wrapper download.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Suraky

#3 Post by Suraky » 2015-06-30 16:02

Right ... as if I or anyone else should trust the 'additional download' coming from sourceforge, when the crapware installs regardless of declining it from the main link.

bundazakira
First name: bunda
Last name: zakira

#4 Post by bundazakira » 2015-07-13 04:06

Suraky wrote:For years we've complained that Sourceforge has been installing crapware along with FileZilla ... whether or not we try to decline it.... And despite countless denials from the FileZilla devs.

The solution has been to go to FileZilla's homepage and download the installer from there, avoiding sourceforge.

Well that appears to be no more. The homepage download links now point to Sourceforge, and are now installing browser hijacking crapware, whether or not you decline it. I'm trying to help a coworker out of the mess caused by this now.

It appears we can no longer get a clean installer for FileZilla, and that the FileZilla devs must be in on it since they chose to change their links to point to sourceforge.

The FileZilla project is as good as dead now, nothing but a brutal trap.

Find something else.

,, wow this is really very disappointing for us of FileZilla users. Should the company pay attention to the user and do not pay attention to personal interest, if they want FileZilla still exist

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2015-07-13 05:17

What company you speak of?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

adventurecyclist
First name: Dave
Last name: Briggs

#6 Post by adventurecyclist » 2015-07-22 11:16

I was just about to download, and then I saw this link.
So what to do if i can't get a clean install?

Suraky

#7 Post by Suraky » 2015-07-22 15:38

Apparently some people can dodge the crapware by disabling javascript. I can't confirm that this works or that other steps are not also necessary.

But I can confirm that I have had no problem getting a clean install without any tricks or concerns by using another free FTP client instead of this one.