SFTP problem: Connection Timed Out; Could not connect to server

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

afancyanimal

SFTP problem: Connection Timed Out; Could not connect to server

#1 Post by afancyanimal » 2015-11-03 03:53

Hello,

First, I want to acknowledge that there have been posts similar to this before; however, none of their solutions worked for me. Although I'm tech savvy, this is my first time using Filezilla. I'm hoping someone can assist me, which would be greatly appreciated.

I recently bought a domain and registered it through InMotion hosting, and downloaded FileZilla to connect via SFTP. I followed their setup instructions verbatim (http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/ ... sftp-setup), but I am getting a "Network Error: Connection timed out. Could not connect to the server." Here is what the message log says:

Connecting to afancyanimal.com:2222...
Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=4
Command: keyfile "***.ppk"
Command: open "***@afancyanimal.com" 2222
Error: Network error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

FileZilla is in Passive mode with the .ppk imported, and timeout is set to 60 seconds (although it times out in 20 seconds). My PC is a Windows 7 Ultimate x32 machine with Avast! antivirus, running FileZilla 3.14.1. My router/modem is a Motorola SBG6782-AC with the latest firmware. (Note: I replaced some names with *** for privacy.)

I thought it may be a firewall or anti-virus issue, so I tried the following: I am allowing all outbound traffic on Windows Firewall (my only Firewall), turned off Avast!'s web shield, and turned off my router's firewall all at the same time. This did not help. Another PC on my network has Kaspersky's security suite, and although Filezilla's "filezilla.exe" and "fzsftp.exe" were both allowed through it's firewall, I got the same connection timeout error.

I've tried using port 22 and 2222 as suggested by InMotion, but neither work. My tests make me think the problem may be in my router since neither PC with different software worked, or perhaps I'm missing something completely. If I need to add more info, I'd be happy to. Thank you for any assistance!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: SFTP problem: Connection Timed Out; Could not connect to server

#2 Post by botg » 2015-11-03 08:46

I can't even resolve your domain name from here. Seems like there's something wrong the DNS entries for your domain or the DNS servers itself.

afancyanimalredux
500 Command not understood
First name: Matt

#3 Post by afancyanimalredux » 2015-11-05 03:22

Thanks for noticing that. I hadn't changed my DNS nameservers, so I updated just updated them. I can now connect via FTP, but am getting a "No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)" error with SFTP. I'm going to recreate my SSH key, and double check my settings and try again tomorrow.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2015-11-05 03:57

Server might require Public Key Authentication rather than password. Did you put the key file into FileZilla (or explicitly defined it via Site Manager)?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

afancyanimalredux
500 Command not understood
First name: Matt

#5 Post by afancyanimalredux » 2015-11-06 04:46

It did indeed require a public key! I created and authorized a new SSH public/private key pair on my site, and used the "Key file" logon type from the Site Manager. I had to change the port to 2222 per In Motion's instructions also. I then got the following error when trying to connect:

Failed to parse returned path.
Failed to retrieve directory listing

After a search on these forums, I changed my Server Type from "DOS" to "Default (Autodetect), and it works!!! :D Thank you for your help botg and boco!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2015-11-06 07:56

A DOS-style SFTP server. *shudder*