Now having issues with Lavasoft's Web Companion software being installed...along with Filezilla

Come here to discuss FileZilla and FTP in general

Moderator: Project members

benherrmann
500 Command not understood
First name: Bernd
Last name: Herrmann

Now having issues with Lavasoft's Web Companion software being installed...along with Filezilla

#1 Post by benherrmann » 2017-03-20 21:27

Hello all:

Perhaps I'm just venting here, but as of recent, I've noticed that when you now download and install and update to Filezilla, you wind up also inadvertently installing Lavasoft's Web Companion software which just irritates me to the max.

For example on my Windows 10 system, when I install Filezilla, there is "no" indication at all that a 3rd party software will be installed. It doesn't even give you an option of whether to install it or not (or it zooms by so quickly that the user doesn't even see it).

As a result, I've had to (two times now) use an Uninstaller program to rid myself of this intrusive Web Companion software after the fact. The only way you realize the software was installed is because the web companion icon appears in the taskbar. Even right clicking on the icon and selecting "quit" does not work and it remains there. It's an intrusive program because it becomes your search engine in your browsers. You literally have to use an uninstaller to get rid of it.

This is the type of stuff that makes one not want to download the Filezilla program anymore. Can't anything be done about this? I realize they pay you guys (and money talks) to allow them to include this, but really.....

Thanks for listening...

Ben Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, NC

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Now having issues with Lavasoft's Web Companion software being installed...along with Filezilla

#2 Post by botg » 2017-03-20 23:08

This third-party offer displayed during the installation is very explicit in its wording, shown on its very own page. Unless deliberately ignored, it cannot be missed. Nonetheless, if you accidentally agreed to the offer, you can fully and completely uninstall any accepted offer using Windows' Add/Remove Programs dialog.

All third-party offers have been tested to be fully uninstallable without having to resort to fourth-party tools.

benherrmann
First name: Bernd
Last name: Herrmann

Re: Now having issues with Lavasoft's Web Companion software being installed...along with Filezilla

#3 Post by benherrmann » 2017-03-21 13:14

But that's the key here...

During installation (of which I always carefully monitor), there is no indication or notice that gives you an option of selecting or unselecting any 3rd party software programs that could be installed (well, at least not on my system when I install FileZilla). That's why it was frustrating for me to have this happen. After the first time (with an earlier version of Filezilla), I made sure to look for any indication during the 2nd time I installed an upgrade, and I saw nothing to indicate any options for installing 3rd party software. The only way I discovered it did this by seeking the Web Companion icon in the taskbar.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2017-03-21 16:35

If you continue having problems (such problems are always possible with millions/billions of possible configurations), use the following FileZilla download page:

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

The installers there do not contain any offers.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

rekhathakurz
First name: rekha
Last name: thakur

#5 Post by rekhathakurz » 2017-11-23 15:21

If you are having issue uninstalling webcompanion you may go thrugh this compleate article about how to uninstall web companion from your computer

Code: Select all

h**ps://althow.com/how-to-disable-and-uninstall-web-companion-windows-computer/
Hope it helps :)
Last edited by boco on 2017-11-23 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made URL non-clickable, target site contains trackers and thus violates forum TOS. Kept for informational value.