Recovered filezilla.xml from broken HDD but lost passwords

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

xenofe8649
500 Command not understood
First name: Julius
Last name: Cesarus

Recovered filezilla.xml from broken HDD but lost passwords

#1 Post by xenofe8649 » 2019-11-03 22:41

Hi, all!

I had to format my PC because Windows was not booting and I lost quite a lot of important files. One of them was FileZilla servers passwords file, which obviously had the passwords of servers I have worked with.

I managed to recover this file using PhotoRec and searching the server name through a lot of possible files using grep.

The problem is that I used to use a master password (which I remember) to encrypt my servers passwords, but I can't get nowadays FileZilla to import it and read their passwords.

I have searched and results are generally aplicable to those whose PC is still working (not my case), and many don't talk about when Pass value is crypt, not base64. I've come across this specification, but I wanted to know if there is any snippet I could use to recover my passwords.

Thanks!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Recovered filezilla.xml from broken HDD but lost passwords

#2 Post by botg » 2019-11-04 07:50

filezilla.xml hold settings and reconnect information.

Entries from the Site Manager are stored in sitemanager.xml

If you only have damaged files that can no longer be imported, try recreating the Site Manager entries and manually transplanting the Pass element from the recovered XML files using a text editor of your choice.