Error 2 - Writing to socket

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

dcrane
500 Command not understood
First name: Dave
Last name: Crane

Error 2 - Writing to socket

#1 Post by dcrane » 2008-01-25 01:48

What can cause this error? I am unable to upload files larger than about 80kb to my web site without getting this error almost immediately. I have the same problem using WS_FTP and Total Commander, though they simply hang without error message.

My web-site-host support techs have no trouble uploading 10MB files to my web site using my login and my password. They claim the fault is with my system or with my ISP. But I was able to upload large files without incident until two days ago. And I fail to see how the fault lies with me. Here's the log:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 10 of 50 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 15:09. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER projectr
Response: 331 User projectr OK. Password required
Command: PASS *************
Response: 230-User projectr has group access to: projectr
Response: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Extensions supported:
Response: EPRT
Response: IDLE
Response: MDTM
Response: SIZE
Response: REST STREAM
Response: MLST type*;size*;sizd*;modify*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.uid*;UNIX.gid*;unique*;
Response: MLSD
Response: ESTP
Response: PASV
Response: EPSV
Response: SPSV
Response: ESTA
Response: AUTH TLS
Response: PBSZ
Response: PROT
Response: 211 End.
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is your current location
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (208,79,203,34,57,54)
Command: LIST
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226-ASCII
Response: 226-Options: -a -l
Response: 226 22 matches total
Command: MDTM .bash_logout
Response: 213 20071204175302
Status: Timezone offsets: Server: -18000 seconds. Local: -21600 seconds. Difference: -3600 seconds.
Command: CWD /public_html/
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /public_html
Response: 257 "/public_html" is your current location
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (208,79,203,34,60,45)
Response: 226 39 matches total
Command: CWD /public_html/evergreen/
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /public_html/evergreen
Response: 257 "/public_html/evergreen" is your current location
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (208,79,203,34,53,213)
Response: 226 4 matches total
Command: DELE evergreen-negro-cemetery-management-plan.pdf
Response: 250 Deleted evergreen-negro-cemetery-management-plan.pdf
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response: 220-You are user number 11 of 50 allowed.
Response: 220-Local time is now 15:10. Server port: 21.
Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Command: USER projectr
Response: 331 User projectr OK. Password required
Command: PASS *************
Response: 230-User projectr has group access to: projectr
Response: 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Status: Starting upload of D:\sites\ProjectRespect.info\public_html\docs\evergreen-negro-cemetery-management-plan.pdf
Command: CWD /public_html/evergreen/
Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /public_html/evergreen
Response: 257 "/public_html/evergreen" is your current location
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (208,79,203,34,238,253)
Command: STOR evergreen-negro-cemetery-management-plan.pdf
Error: Error 2 writing to socket

jrevillini
First name: James
Last name: Revillini

Re: Error 2 - Writing to socket

#2 Post by jrevillini » 2008-02-02 16:14

I'm having the same issue - tried the latest stable, beta, and nightly. What router software and ISP are you using. I have Charter and my router software is dd-wrt - i see a few posts on the web about this, but we need to establish the common factor.

Peace,
James

jrevillini

#3 Post by jrevillini » 2008-02-02 16:21

hey - just for laughs, could you try downgrading to FZ 3.0.5.2? It just occurred to me that I was not having this problem until I installed the 3.0.6 update earlier last month. So I reinstalled 3.0.5.2 and while it hesitated a little midway through a 500KB upload, it made it.

Let me know.

dcrane
First name: Dave
Last name: Crane

#4 Post by dcrane » 2008-02-02 16:36

jrevillini wrote:I'm having the same issue - tried the latest stable, beta, and nightly. What router software and ISP are you using. I have Charter and my router software is dd-wrt - i see a few posts on the web about this, but we need to establish the common factor.
I have an unmodified LinkSys router, but it doesn't seem to interfere with any FTP transfer to any other web site. Nor does it matter which FTP software I am using; they all fail, but only when I use my computer connected to this one web site. I can upload to my web site from any other PC, using my password. For example, from the home of a friend of mine using the same ISP (SuddenLink) in the same neighborhood. She does have a completely different IP. Even the first two digits are different.

I have no firewall other than the router. The error appears to be a failure to store on the web site, though a few thousand bytes do store before the failure. Oddly, only Filezilla reports an error. WS_FTP basically crashes and CuteFTP simply stalls.

If this is a conflict in parameters between my PC and the host, which parameters? I can't think of anything my ISP can do that would block writing to the random high-number ports being used that would not also affect my neighbor. On the other hand, they are blocking pings to her system and not to mine. She also has 8 MB download and I am being throttled to one MB down, 250 KB up. But if it is something my ISP is doing, why does FTP work to any other web site? I was having a lot of lost packets, but they cleared that up. I still can't upload w/FTP.

I see no point in trying another version of Filezilla because I get a very similar problem with two other FTP programs.

Bottom line is that it makes no sense. All my tests have taken me in a circle.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2008-02-02 16:54

jrevillini wrote:hey - just for laughs, could you try downgrading to FZ 3.0.5.2? It just occurred to me that I was not having this problem until I installed the 3.0.6 update earlier last month. So I reinstalled 3.0.5.2 and while it hesitated a little midway through a 500KB upload, it made it.

Let me know.
Nothing in the networking code has changed between 3.0.5.2 and 3.0.6 that could lead to this problem. So this is a good sign you got some firewall, virus scanner or similar blocking other FileZilla versions since the executable obviously changed during the update.

jrevillini

#6 Post by jrevillini » 2008-02-02 16:57

hi - thanks for the information. winxp firewall is off. i have no other software firewalls on this machine. i am running dd-wrt on my router. since dd-wrt doesn't seem to block/allow based on executable, what would you recommend?

ooh - let me try turning off mcaffee. when all else fails, it's probably mcaffee's fault. ... will post again soon.

jrevillini

#7 Post by jrevillini » 2008-02-02 17:33

well, i can't completely exit mcafee, but i removed all port-blocking rules (which didn't have to do with port 21 anyway), and still no joy with 3.0.6. there is a curious line in mcaffee's log file regarding filezilla. it has nothing to do with what's going on right now, but still curious:

Code: Select all

1/12/2008	1:25:09 PM	Blocked by port blocking rule 	filezilla.exe	Prevent IRC communication	74.50.21.210
i checked the windows event log for issues as well, and nothing is logged for filezilla or in/out bound communication. i have to work on other things but will surely write again if i happen to find any more clues.

markn26
First name: Mark
Last name: N

#8 Post by markn26 » 2008-02-15 19:52

Hi, I've actually found this topic through a Google search. I am having huge issues with this "error 2 writing to socket" problem and it's ruining my day :( I have hundreds of FLV files to upload, and about 80% of them go successfully while the remaining 20% have this error. No matter what I do, I can't fix it. I shut down & restart FZ, same issue...I pause and continue, same issue...etc. I basically have to go into cPanel's file manager and upload each individual file if I want to get these on my server. Has anyone found a solution? I really like FZ and would hate to have to go back to WS_FTP or some other program...

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2008-02-15 21:13

markn26, does running the network configuration wizard succeed?

markn26
First name: Mark
Last name: N

#10 Post by markn26 » 2008-02-16 16:59

Hi botg - I've tried the network config settings, such as passive/active, external IP, etc. and am still getting the same problem.

There is one weird thing about it - when I was at work using FZ, I was getting the socket error for specific videos. No matter what I did, they would not upload. Even when I shut down, and tried a few hours later. When I went home, I attempted to upload those same files through FZ on my home computer, and they worked without any problems. It's really strange.... however, certain files refused to upload on my home computer. I tried those on my work computer, and they uploaded with no problem.

jrevillini

#11 Post by jrevillini » 2008-02-16 17:24

Yeah - I'm experiencing the same symptoms - from home it chokes, from work or other networks, it works (same computer). My router is running dd-wrt and I haven't changed any settings since I first installed it, nor have I upgraded. other FTP programs will work fine on the same files. Still, I realize that this is not enough info to troubleshoot the issue.

Ma1colm
First name: Malcolm
Last name: Hostetler

#12 Post by Ma1colm » 2008-05-11 06:22

I was having the same problem people are reporting transferring a file from a Win PC to a Linux PC inside my network. The file was an .avi and plays correctly on the PC using VLC. Other .avi files in my collection transfered without problem. I tried rebooting both PC's but was unable to get past the error. On a whim, I renamed the file having the problem with a shorter name and tried again, this time it immediately transfered without a problem. I then tried adding character back into the file name. Tests show that

- Files with 43 or more characters would fail
- files with 42 or less characters succeed

If others are having this problem, please confirm if a file name change corrects the problem on your systems.

vcvg
First name: Vincent
Last name: Zhang

#13 Post by vcvg » 2008-06-13 02:40

Hi, all

I have had the same problem. I can upload to the root of the FTP but not some special directory.
Finally I found the access property of them are not the same, I modified them to the same, everything is back to okay now.

Redphoenixoffire
First name: Sheri
Last name: Smith

#14 Post by Redphoenixoffire » 2008-07-14 01:23

I have this sort of problem, when i upload something i get an error

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,17,0)
Command: STOR I'm With Kenshin.wmv
Error: Error 2 writing to socket
Response: 550 Permission denied
Error: Critical error

i can't upload anything, what can I do?

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2008-07-14 08:10

Read the Network Configuration guide and configure the client, the server and all routers and firewalls in between accordingly.