Folders won't delete?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

tahoebuff
500 Command not understood

Folders won't delete?

#1 Post by tahoebuff » 2005-01-20 04:26

For some reason I can't delete a couple of my test phpBB forums through Filezilla. What it does is delete all of the contents, except the cache and templates folder. Am I missing something here?

Tahoebuff

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-01-20 14:47

This is probably because 1) your ftp login doesn't have the proper priviledges to do this (check the perms and ownership), or 2) the file(s) are locked because they are currently in use.

JPCelan

Having a similar problem trying to delete folders

#3 Post by JPCelan » 2005-02-28 21:21

Right now filezilla isn't allowing me to delet a directory with several sub directories. When I watch the status, it attempts to delete the subdirectory then says it's not empty, and proceeds to delete the others, all with the same result. The thing is, filezilla just went through and deleted all of the files from all of the subdirectories. Each and every one of them is empty (made empty by filezilla) but it's not letting me delete them. Any thoughts?

JPCelan

the solution!

#4 Post by JPCelan » 2005-02-28 21:30

Well, wouldn't you know I'd stumble onto the problem and solution just after posting my message ..... the issue was HIDDEN FILES! Aparently there was an .htaccess file that was hidden, so when I had it show hidden files, it popped up, and then filezilla deleted that file and the subdirectory. I did find that I had to tell it to show hidden files on each of the subdirectories before it would "find" it and delete it, but not a big deal.

TheAngryPenguin
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-02-28 21:37

Compare the ownership of those files/directories that you can succesfully delete with the ownership of those in which you can't remove. Make sure "Show hidden files" is selected from the "View" toolbar. I'd be willing to bet that the Owner/Group of the files/dirs that cannot be deleted is not the same as everything else (your FTP login, specifically). This can occur when a script that runs under the priviledges of the web server (eg. Apache) creates files and directories -- only that same owner has the necessary priviledges to remove the stuff it created.

JPCelan

#6 Post by JPCelan » 2005-02-28 21:44

How exactly do I compare ownership? And, if I'm the owner of the site domain, shouldn't I have access to delete anything I want? I put the files/dirs up there in the first place, so shouldn't I be able to simply delete them? Also, the HIDDEN FILES thing was the key for me, as soon as I did that I found a hidden file that hadn't been deleted.

Still, curious about this ownership thing.

richardjbarrett007
First name: Richard
Last name: Barrett

Re: Folders won't delete?

#7 Post by richardjbarrett007 » 2018-08-05 10:26

I loaded up my file manager with hosting provider deleted the internal files then it allowed me to delete the folder after refreshing filezilla it was gone

boco
Contributor

Re: Folders won't delete?

#8 Post by boco » 2018-08-05 21:13

Please, always check the date of previous posts before reviving a topic from death.

Topic will be banished and buried again. Closed due to necroposting.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org